The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 717 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 717 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 722 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 722 errorHandler->error_callback

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,076
» Latest member: gogreen
» Forum threads: 7,895
» Forum posts: 95,494

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
33 Seven Tourer up (and n...
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: Tony Press
44 minutes ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 39
Austin sevens in Guernsey
Last Post: Austin in the Shed
9 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 53
What have you done today ...
Last Post: Steve kay
Yesterday, 12:55 PM
» Replies: 5,988
» Views: 1,352,821
Indicators flickering on ...
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
Yesterday, 09:33 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 956
Ruby parts
Forum: Sales
Last Post: A7JoJo
Yesterday, 09:16 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 268
1934 Austin 7
Last Post: AustinWood
25-04-2024, 04:37 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 149
Engine Value
Last Post: timbigden@icloud.com
25-04-2024, 08:53 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 372
Austin Service Journal
Last Post: Tony Press
24-04-2024, 11:24 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 258
Big end clearance
Last Post: Dirk73
24-04-2024, 07:52 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 147
Running board rubbers
Last Post: Old Dave
24-04-2024, 06:35 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 4,011

Ruby B post picture.
Posted by: Pricey - 13-04-2019, 09:37 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (26)

Hello

Please can somebody assist with a couple of images for reference.

I'm dealing with the trick bodgery of a previous owner on my 1937 Ruby.

The area I'm working on is the nearside b-post.

As you can see from my picture the filler fairies and pop rivet renegades made an appearance.
Then as a finale the patch which was pop riveted and filled over was also welded to the side step.

So has anyone got or can take an image they'd care to share so I can rebuild this properly or if you are close to Chesterfield and have the same vehicle and would allow it, I could attend with my CAD kit and make templates.....Card Aided Design kit = cardboard, pencil and scissors.

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Big 7 King pin sets
Posted by: Derrick - 12-04-2019, 12:39 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (1)

Can someone tell me where I can get some Austin Big 7 King pin sets

Print this item

Seven Special Seats.
Posted by: Paul Nott - 11-04-2019, 04:17 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (24)

[attachment=6028]
Hi All
About to retrim the interior of my Seven Special, just wondering what the forums opinion is on seating.
Bench or single seats?
I am open minded, recently view on the web vintage seats by Holden but as the seating width is around 80cm thought they may be a little snug!

On a separate note, I need a new running board foot plate to replace the broken one see photo, any ideas on supplier?   

Many thanks
Paul

Print this item

Compressor. Single phase.
Posted by: Biddlecombe - 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM - Forum: Wants - Replies (1)

I am interested in buying a single phase compressor. Something with a bit of umph, possibly 75-100 litre tank.

Print this item

An Apology
Posted by: Ian Williams - 10-04-2019, 09:35 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (18)

Dear forum readership as regulars here will know I was banned from the site for a post I made where I accused another member of belittlement, being childish, vindictive, small-minded, dishonest and cowardly, I implied that there was a conflict of interest with his posts and his position within the forum and wider Austin community. I have recently been sent a copy of what I said, and to be honest reading it I was quite shocked at my anger and how strongly I worded the post. I was reacting to an ongoing disagreement between us where I felt rather than privately talking to me about the issue as we had on so many other occasions he was now publicly trying to belittle my posts. I had sent private messages and emails asking why this change in attitude was happening, however I received no response and it continued until I snapped and lost the plot. Not that the above and what follows is an excuse for what I said, but perhaps goes some way to explain it from my perspective. Five years ago I had a serious almost fatal high speed accident whilst racing my Austin 7, amongst numerous other things I suffered a head injury which has affected my temperament and left me a little hot under the collar. I hate injustice and felt I was being wronged by this other member, however I do sincerely apologise for the viciousness of my response to what I felt was his unfair actions, and for the personal accusations I made. I also accept that I may have taken some of what he said out of context as we all can do at times online. I have offended the wider readership by allowing our disagreement to become public, which is at detriment to the forum and I am also sincerely sorry for that. The forum is a fantastic resource for the Austin seven community I have always tried to be a voice of reason and ensure my posts are honest, informative and based on real life experience. Until last night reading again what I said I had been feeling like the wounded party in this whole story saga, I was holding out for an apology from the other side refusing post again until that was forthcoming. I see now that was wrong of me and if the forum as a whole accept my explanation and remorse I may return to actively posting once again. 

Print this item

Carburettor problems.
Posted by: David Stepney - 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (28)

Here's a problem for all the cognoscenti on the forum.

For the sake of completeness, my car is a 1933 RP box saloon with a standard Zenith 26VA carburettor. Ever since I have had the car, the tickover has been uncomfortably quick. Although I haven't checked it with a tachometer, it sounds almost as quick as my Mk2 Polo and that idles at around 850 to 900 rpm.

The tickover is perfectly even and the mixture screw seems to work O.K. I have checked for air leaks at the manifold and at the carb flange and all appears well. Indeed, when I had the engine out to replace the rear main bearing, I took the opportunity of replacing some of the manifold studs and making sure that the manifold was flat and that the carb flange was flat too. The carb and manifold were put back with new gaskets.

I have had the carb to bits and cleaned it out thoroughly, The throttle spindle is a reasonably good fit in the carb body. I've seen much worse! I have replace the throttle butterfly as the original had been butchered in the past and I could see daylight round it in places. Indeed, when I saw that, I thought that I had found the problem.

The car itself goes very well, especially now that it has a refurbished distributor. It climbs the hills around Bala with aplomb and is capable of something just over 50 flat out, given enough road. The fuel consumption is not good, however. I am getting anything between 30 and 36 mpg, usually 32 to 33. Checking the mixture with a 'Colourtune' shows that the combustion flame is yellow rather than the blue it should be throughout the range. I have got it down from an orange to a yellow by fitting the thickest needle valve washer that came with my carb overhaul kit.

One thing I have noticed is that my carb does not have a jet at the top of the compensating well. The hand book shows one, but my carb looks as if one was never fitted. There is no thread in the top of the compensating well to take one and looks as if there never was.

The throttle stop screw is wound down so that the throttle is completely closed and yet the tickover remains stubbornly high.

I'm sorry that this post is a bit prolix, but I wanted to give everyone as much information as possible.

Anyone got any ideas?

Print this item

Popping and not pulling well?
Posted by: Biddlecombe - 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (9)

I took Vera to West Firle for a meeting of The Old Farts Club, or half a dozen of my old mates. 1 pint of Harveys best and home only 9 miles each way. 

Bit of popping in the box and not pulling well in top. Checked temperature of each plug and found number 3 10 degrees C lower than the others. Any ideas?

Print this item

Flywheel torque settinmg
Posted by: SneezerUSA - 10-04-2019, 01:20 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (15)

Can someone advise me of the correct torque setting for the bolt that attaches the flywheel to the crankshaft of a 1930 Austin? Any help would be appreciated. Arnie

Print this item

Question Searching for Mike Whitthome
Posted by: KO9954 - 10-04-2019, 01:02 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (4)

Does anyone know if Mike is still active ?
 He mentioned having some photos of the other Gordon England Sunshine Saloon - some time ago.
   - John Edwards, SW WA, USA

Print this item

Tubular front axle
Posted by: mhacche - 09-04-2019, 11:12 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

I would like to make a tubular front axle and wonder if someone has dimensions or made one themselves. I have some cold drawn stainless tube with en24t for the stubs. These will have to be machined and welded in. It would save time if I could share a fellow members experiences.

Cheers Martin

Print this item