The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
33 Seven Tourer up (and nearly fully) running
Well it has been a failrly long slow process, but now have my 1933 Seven tourer running.
Re-built dynamo arrived last week, fitted and modifications to wiring done. Very pleased.
Sump fitted afer the problem with sheared bolts fixed. Again pleased as no signs of oil leaks.
Some minor works on the engine to stop the odd oil leak, and a coat of paint to the head
to make it look a bit better.
All the exhaust system removed and painted in high temperature paint. After a lot of head
scratching have left the (note) short wheelbase rear section of exhaust off and have semi permanent
short pipe coming out of the near side of the car just after the door. Found a use for an old 'SKY' dish
mounting pole, now part of the exhaust !!.
Nothing to major with wiring but repaired the 'dodgy' dashboard switch so now have ignition
from either the original or second switch.
All bulbs except for indicators are now LED types, a bit bright but better than the original lighting.
Also fitted a column indicator/ dipped/main switch. Works well and easier than trying to find the foot switch.

All brakes serviced (nothing needed replacing) and 'think' I have the cables setup about right. Well, the
brakes work and you do pull up in a straight line so not too bad.

The next couple of jobs mainly involve the rear axle and rear springs.
Axle is a bit 'growly' with a thrumming noise when powered but quiet on overrun. May be nothing but
suspicious after finding part of a tooth when I drained the rear axle.
Rear springs seem (to me) a bit soft but not hitting the bump stops except over speed bumps.
Really think I need to compare with other cars of the same vintage before I do anything.

Ended up dropping tyre pressures ( new Longstones) from 30 PSI all round to 26 PSI all round.
Car not so 'twitchy' now, but will play around with pressures until I am happy.

Will put some pictures up when I get chance.

Martin, GM6VXB
I usually use tyre pressures around 21-22 psi with 19" Avon Sidecar tyres
Hi Martin

Great to hear your news on the car and a bit of a success story. Running repairs/improvements etc are part of Austin Seven ownership. Enjoy.

Cheers

Howard
I found 24psi was about right for Longstones on my RM saloon; your tourer is probably a bit heavier, so 26psi is probably fine.
I think Longstone recommend 30psi for Austin 7's but I find that much too high.  I run mine at 24psi and they feel very secure.    30psi was scary when I tried it on the Ulster.
My ruby ran fine on Armstrong 400 x 17 at 32psi. The centre section of tread hasn't got a lot of tread left so I now run at about 26. Steering might not be quite as light and definite as at 30.
Going to stay with tyres at 26 PSI all round for now. Had a run into Fraserburgh yesterday and car was
definately not as twitchy as it was with 30 PSI all round.
Today took the carb apart again to fix a small leak, more annoying than dangerous. Still a little muck in the
float chamber even with an inline fuel filter. I know I will have to take the tank off and give it a good cleanout
but will leave for now and just change filters when they show as dirty.
Still lots to do to get the car up to my standards (FIAT club concours winner in 1975) but hoping to get
down to Guildtown.

Martin, GM6VXB
Try not to fill up at petrol stations, but use cans if you can, and fill up gently at home.The force of the filling station pumps will stir up any deposits in your tank - ask me how I know!
Robert 2E0HQO
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish

Weather very nice so car out in the fresh sea air for a couple of photo's.
This is about 30 foot from the North sea facing side of our house.

The eagle eyed might notice a shipwreck in the background. This
is the wreck of the fishing boat @sunbeam' which went aground in 2005
and is still (amazingly) still mostly intact.
BTW if you have seen the advertizing posters for the film 'Life of Pi' then 
this is the same boat as on the flyer.

Martin, GM6VXB

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Car looks very smart. Interesting coastal residences.