The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carburettor problems.
Here's a problem for all the cognoscenti on the forum.

For the sake of completeness, my car is a 1933 RP box saloon with a standard Zenith 26VA carburettor. Ever since I have had the car, the tickover has been uncomfortably quick. Although I haven't checked it with a tachometer, it sounds almost as quick as my Mk2 Polo and that idles at around 850 to 900 rpm.

The tickover is perfectly even and the mixture screw seems to work O.K. I have checked for air leaks at the manifold and at the carb flange and all appears well. Indeed, when I had the engine out to replace the rear main bearing, I took the opportunity of replacing some of the manifold studs and making sure that the manifold was flat and that the carb flange was flat too. The carb and manifold were put back with new gaskets.

I have had the carb to bits and cleaned it out thoroughly, The throttle spindle is a reasonably good fit in the carb body. I've seen much worse! I have replace the throttle butterfly as the original had been butchered in the past and I could see daylight round it in places. Indeed, when I saw that, I thought that I had found the problem.

The car itself goes very well, especially now that it has a refurbished distributor. It climbs the hills around Bala with aplomb and is capable of something just over 50 flat out, given enough road. The fuel consumption is not good, however. I am getting anything between 30 and 36 mpg, usually 32 to 33. Checking the mixture with a 'Colourtune' shows that the combustion flame is yellow rather than the blue it should be throughout the range. I have got it down from an orange to a yellow by fitting the thickest needle valve washer that came with my carb overhaul kit.

One thing I have noticed is that my carb does not have a jet at the top of the compensating well. The hand book shows one, but my carb looks as if one was never fitted. There is no thread in the top of the compensating well to take one and looks as if there never was.

The throttle stop screw is wound down so that the throttle is completely closed and yet the tickover remains stubbornly high.

I'm sorry that this post is a bit prolix, but I wanted to give everyone as much information as possible.

Anyone got any ideas?
Are you using a vacuum windscreen wiper? Any leakage on this unit can cause high idle speed. This is usually associated with weak
mixture readings on the colour tune. With the engine stationary, operate the petrol pump priming lever, high float level will be indicated by petrol leaking from the choke area. John
Thank you John for your comments.

My car has an electric windscreen wiper and the connection on top of the manifold for the vacuum operated wiper has been been brazed up. It is not leaking.

And, yes the carb does leak from the beak. Usually when turned off after running. Not when cold.
Hi, When cleaning your carb did you clean and blow out the small jet that is accessed by removing the small brass screw at the base of the carb. This jet when working correctly allows a small amount of air into the ventura when the butterfly is closed thus enabling correct tick over settings. A word of warning however it is very easy to damage this jet when removing it. I just removed the brass blanking screw and cleaned it all with carb cleaner and an air line whilst still in place.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thank you John. Yes I did. When I took the tiny brass plug out, it looked as if someone had been there before me as its 'ears' looked a bit knocked about. I didn't try to remove it, but squirted carb cleaner through it. It seems that air is drawn in through a small hole adjacent to and controlled by the mixture screw and then by a labyrinthine series of passages through that tiny jet and then into a drilling just aft of the throttle edge. The mixture screw seems to sit at the junction of two other passages: one leading from an air passage situated at about 11 o'clock to the main air intake and another leading from the idle jet.
So I'm a bit mystified as to how the idle circuit actually works.
I think I should explain, our RN saloons with 22FZB carburettors give on average 35 mpg around town and the peak district, so using the intermediate gears a lot. However, I did find that on a long run in top gear cruising at 50 mph they achieve 50 mpg like Mike. At the other end of the scale doing Malcolm Parker's Pennine run with lots of bottom gear work this can fall to 25mpg.
Dave, Thank you for your words of wisdom. It's hilly round here too, so perhaps I am expecting too much. It's the tickover that really annoys me. It is far too fast for my liking. I have found enough bits in my spares box to build another carb, so I am going to have a go at that today and see how I get on.
David.
If the butterfly was butchered then how about the lever - the one that hits the stop, or the bit of casting that carries the stop if the stop is removed altogether?

Could that have been swapped or butchered?
Watching this thread with interest as I have exactly the same problem with a 26VA on the Ruby at the mo. Have checked all the usual suspect issues and sprayed round manifold and cannot find anything that is causing tickover to hold too high. Shall have alternative carb to substitute shortly and will see how that performs.
Can you photograph the top of the carb and also the bottom of the float bowl - then post it here?