The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no pets allowed at centenary event
(07-10-2021, 11:15 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 05:01 PM)AustinWood Wrote: Dogs are great but they cannot attend the centenary.
As I understand it the site is used for training fire service dogs. As dogs get more information by far from the scent of smell they would be totally confused if dozens of dogs were on the site. It's perfectly understandable.
Finding such a good site so close to the centre of the country is excellent. We are not bothered by distance, but 300 miles to Moreton-in-Marsh is much better than 420 to Beaulieu. The only difficulty is avoiding motorways & dual carriageways, but that's good fun. Takes us to interesting places we would not otherwise see.

Well said. It's a shame that no satNav I know allows just B roads to be put in as an option, only "avoiding motorways". But if you use a smartphone and Google or Apple maps, you can enter "cycle route" - the snag being that some of these include canal towpaths and other interesting diversions. Still, the son of a friend did drive back from the south coast to Derbsyhire using such a route for a lot of the way.

Hi Tony, my TomTom satnav. has an option of selecting a max. speed route; I have found that asking it to pick a 40mph max. route that it usually selects back roads in preference to any busier routes. When using it in the 7 I select this option even if I traverse most of it at faster than 40mph!
Finally this thread throws up something I am prepared to respond to!

HOW TO PLOT A 'B' ROAD ROUTE FOR TOMTOM SATNAV

You can plan a 'b' roads route in Google Maps (theoretically also in TomTom 'MyDrive', but in practice much harder).
Once you have your preferred route displayed on Google Maps (using the cursor to drag route where you want it) copy the page URL. (Yes Tony - by all means try starting from the cycle route option; but be very careful as it is hard to spot where you have been sent up a towpath).
Open "Maps to GPX" (Google it) and paste the URL into the conversion field and press "let's go".
It will convert your route into a .gpx file which will appear in your downloads folder.
Now sign in to TomTom 'MyDrive' on your computer, and select 'My Routes'.
At the  bottom is an option "import .gpx file". Simply navigate to the file and upload it. 
Check the box which says something like "synchronise to my device as a track" (forgotten precise wording).
Now switch on your TomTom device and connect it to MyDrive vis USB or wifi (according to the device).
It will synchronise and in doing so update its 'my routes' section with your new route. Bingo!

One thing to remember is that the TomTom has (frankly) a design flaw, which is that it can only follow a track in one direction.
If you wish to return by the same route you must plot it again in the reverse direction and upload a second .gpx file.
(EDIT: I have since learned that you can reverse a track in "MyDrive" - open the route on your computer screen, and select "edit"; select the arrows to the right side of the "from" and "to" boxes, and save under a different name).

It sounds complicated but really quite easy if you follow step by step.
It certainly works on my device (TomTom Go Basic) but I can't answer for other versions.
If anyone would like a more detailed step-by-step set of illustrated instructions please don't hesitate to p.m. me with your e-mail address.

I resisted satnav firmly until this year, when the realisation dawned that next year's (fingers crossed) summer holiday will take us over 1000 miles on b-roads and that my navigator was going to need help. For this specific purpose I would say it is a real asset. When we get there I'm switching it off!
We buy quite a few OS maps, usually when going on hols somewhere in UK. An excellent company is Dash4it and provides cheap OS maps with quick delivery, as good as our cherished suppliers. No connection with them, just experienced very good service.
Martin, Re Booking site; http://a7centenry.idloom.com/centenary.
Thanks, John. I think a typo slipped into "centenary", but even allowing for that I just get "Site can't be reached" coming up. Where did you get the link from - I can't find it on the A7CA Centenary site - which still says that booking will open in September!
The link above was part of the test site and won’t work, it should not have been shared beyond the organising group…

Booking will open soon, better to wait a few days and ensure everything is absolutely correct than open and have to retract bookings.
should not have been shared beyond the organising group?

sorry R, but it obviously has been.

its not what you know, but who.
(08-10-2021, 10:51 AM)Ian McGowan Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 11:15 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 05:01 PM)AustinWood Wrote: Dogs are great but they cannot attend the centenary.
As I understand it the site is used for training fire service dogs. As dogs get more information by far from the scent of smell they would be totally confused if dozens of dogs were on the site. It's perfectly understandable.
Finding such a good site so close to the centre of the country is excellent. We are not bothered by distance, but 300 miles to Moreton-in-Marsh is much better than 420 to Beaulieu. The only difficulty is avoiding motorways & dual carriageways, but that's good fun. Takes us to interesting places we would not otherwise see.

Well said. It's a shame that no satNav I know allows just B roads to be put in as an option, only "avoiding motorways". But if you use a smartphone and Google or Apple maps, you can enter "cycle route" - the snag being that some of these include canal towpaths and other interesting diversions. Still, the son of a friend did drive back from the south coast to Derbsyhire using such a route for a lot of the way.

Hi Tony, my TomTom satnav. has an option of selecting a max. speed route; I have found that asking it to pick a 40mph max. route that it usually selects back roads in preference to any busier routes. When using it in the 7 I select this option even if I traverse most of it at faster than 40mph!
That's a good one I didn't know about. Unfortunately, around 8 years ago, TomTom removed the facility to use third-party POIs (points of interest) and set warnings and routes to them. Consequently, I've refused to buy another (nor, from the comments on the TOmTom Users Group, have tens of thousands of others) but use my trusty 750 when necessary. On that one can even type in comments that are spoken on the approach to a POI - quite handy. The TomTom interface I've always found far better than the Garmin - but the latter does offer lifetime maps updates and other features lacking in the competition.

(08-10-2021, 02:23 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Finally this thread throws up something I am prepared to respond to!

HOW TO PLOT A 'B' ROAD ROUTE FOR TOMTOM SATNAV

You can plan a 'b' roads route in Google Maps (theoretically also in TomTom 'MyDrive', but in practice much harder).
Once you have your preferred route displayed on Google Maps (using the cursor to drag route where you want it) copy the page URL. (Yes Tony - try starting from the cycle route option)
Open "Maps to GPX" (Google it) and paste the URL into the conversion field and press "let's go".
It will convert your route into a .gpx file which will appear in your downloads folder.
Now sign in to TomTom 'MyDrive' on your computer, and select 'My Routes'.
At the  bottom is an option "import .gpx file". Simply navigate to the file and upload it. 
Check the box which says something like "synchronise to my device as a track" (forgotten precise wording).
Now switch on your TomTom device and connect it to MyDrive vis USB or wifi (according to the device).
It will synchronise and in doing so update its 'my routes' section with your new route. Bingo!

One thing to remember is that the TomTom has (frankly) a design flaw, which is that it can only follow a track in one direction.
If you wish to return by the same route you must plot it again in the reverse direction and upload a second .gpx file.

It sounds complicated but really quite easy if you follow step by step.
It certainly works on my device (TomTom Go Basic) but I can't answer for other versions.
If anyone would like a more detailed step-by-step set of illustrated instructions please don't hesitate to p.m. me with your e-mail address.

I resisted satnav firmly until this year, when the realisation dawned that next year's (fingers crossed) summer holiday will take us over 1000 miles on b-roads and that my navigator was going to need help. For this specific purpose I would say it is a real asset. When we get there I'm switching it off!
Thanks for that, very interesting indeed. As for switching it off, I bet you don't! I was an early convert to SatNavs - especially on motorcycles where, in a strange location, at night, in the pouring rain they make life so much easier. In Italy, I was flagged down by a British motorcyclist, completely lost with just a sodden map and fading touch to hand. The joy on his face when I said, "Follow me." On another occasion, looking for accommodation too late into the evening, tapping the screen came up with an answer in a fraction of a second. Built-in SatNavs and phones have now made things even easier, one's passenger can negotiate the best room rate at 80 mph (but not on a bike...well, not yet).
You're on Tony. As far as I'm concerned the whole point of holidays is to leave electronic consumer durables behind and get irredeemably lost! I only countenanced the idea this time as in the absence of any viable ferry routes we have a huge distance that needs to be covered in a short time and I figured my other half & I wouldn't be talking by the time we got there!

It takes a leap of faith to leave so-called 'connectivity' behind and take your chances with the world, but the rewards are many.
I have been giving my route to the Centenary Rally serious thought.  Like Ruairidh, I have a large collection of OS maps, mostly due to me having organised rallies and road runs for over 40 years, as well as navigating on road rallies and VSCC nav rallies.
Dash4it are great.    Best of all is the National Library of Scotland website.  On this you will find virtually every map produced in Britain.  Every edition of the various OS maps are available.  You can bring them up on screen with no 'copyright' or background wording.  They are very high definition so you can enlarge them, very handy for those of us whose eyes aren't what they used to be.
I like to get the 1" OS maps from when my Austin 7 was made in 1931 and try to plan a route using them.
Be warned.  When you get looking at old maps on the NLS site it is addictive, you can spend hours.   I recently was looking at the 25" to a mile OS sheets showing Brooklands Racing Track in the 1920's, quite fascinating.