The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no pets allowed at centenary event
Dogs are great but they cannot attend the centenary.
As I understand it the site is used for training fire service dogs. As dogs get more information by far from the scent of smell they would be totally confused if dozens of dogs were on the site. It's perfectly understandable.
Finding such a good site so close to the centre of the country is excellent. We are not bothered by distance, but 300 miles to Moreton-in-Marsh is much better than 420 to Beaulieu. The only difficulty is avoiding motorways & dual carriageways, but that's good fun. Takes us to interesting places we would not otherwise see.
Jim
We as a society would be much the worse without our dogs.From the dog as a companion to the guide dog,the ones who can detect when their owner is going to have a seizure,those that have or been trained to detect medical conditions or cancer.
To the dogs who go to war in the forces,the police dog,and of course the ones used by the fire service.
A dog does not judge you ,is loyal and doesn't care whether you are a millionaire or penniless .
I have two dogs, I would love to bring them along, they are well behaved , love people and Austin Sevens.
But the rules have been right from the very start that family pet dogs are not allowed on site. So suck it up and deal with it like I’ve had too.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(07-10-2021, 04:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 01:09 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: "everybody and their Auntie commenting"

It all seems very strange to me, all this talk of dogs on a forum that's nothing to do with dogs.

In my ideal world dogs would not exist. They seem to have no function, no advantage, and the disadvantages are many. They bite me from time to time. They jump up and put muddy marks on my clothes. And they leave dog muck for me to stand in, sit on, and lie on.

So yes let's make all events dog free please.

Unfortunately I'm not likely to benefit from the situation at Moreton in Marsh. It's too far for the seven. It's a long way in the modern for just one day. And to stay the week gets expensive.

I often say, quite truthfully, that I prefer the company of dogs and horses to any human.
hi david, i often find myself saying the same thing. as d dye says they dont judge etc.

as for serving no perpose,

many of todays youth would say the same thing about old men who own austin 7s. Big Grin  as sed earlier be careful of being a human.

tony.
(07-10-2021, 05:01 PM)AustinWood Wrote: Dogs are great but they cannot attend the centenary.
As I understand it the site is used for training fire service dogs. As dogs get more information by far from the scent of smell they would be totally confused if dozens of dogs were on the site. It's perfectly understandable.
Finding such a good site so close to the centre of the country is excellent. We are not bothered by distance, but 300 miles to Moreton-in-Marsh is much better than 420 to Beaulieu. The only difficulty is avoiding motorways & dual carriageways, but that's good fun. Takes us to interesting places we would not otherwise see.

Well said. It's a shame that no satNav I know allows just B roads to be put in as an option, only "avoiding motorways". But if you use a smartphone and Google or Apple maps, you can enter "cycle route" - the snag being that some of these include canal towpaths and other interesting diversions. Still, the son of a friend did drive back from the south coast to Derbsyhire using such a route for a lot of the way.
The Ordnance Survey SatNav allows you to plan a B-road route:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Maps, now there is something interesting and very worthwhile exploring. I have a huge and historical collection, I could not function without them.

I love comparing the ones from 100 years ago to the most up to date one, fascinating.

A useful feature of Michelin maps is that they date their maps, I find these very useful in keeping an overview record of my routes during the last 30 years, they provide a superb account of the places we visited (that I no longer remember the name of) and where we camped each night.

David Cochrane is overseeing the production of a map for, each entrant, as part of the entry pack.

Maps get a big thumbs up from me!
Either that, or find a local nav rally organiser who is twiddling their thumbs, and get them to tulip a route for you.
With a combination of any road map plus google earth maps on a pc you can plot a route across the UK.
First roughly plot a route on the road map and note it down then follow it in great detail toggling the map/satellite function on google maps, you can then make your own fully detailed tulip route or write/type you own individual route.
You can also check whether the roads are dual carriageway or single lane (satellite option) and you can even see one way systems in towns you have to pass through.
I have also found a rechargeable power pack I can run my 12v satnav all day in Ruby and with the able assistance of wifey, she can plot town to town via the minor roads to ensure we do not get lost.
O/S maps are the other obvious choice, but that depends if wifey or suitable other can read the maps………
...and that planning is almost as enjoyable, to me, as the drive itself.

Love a plan!