Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,076
» Latest member: gogreen
» Forum threads: 7,895
» Forum posts: 95,493

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
What have you done today ...
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: Steve kay
23 minutes ago
» Replies: 5,988
» Views: 1,352,736
Indicators flickering on ...
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
3 hours ago
» Replies: 19
» Views: 928
Ruby parts
Forum: Sales
Last Post: A7JoJo
4 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 252
1934 Austin 7
Last Post: AustinWood
Yesterday, 04:37 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 139
Engine Value
Last Post: timbigden@icloud.com
Yesterday, 08:53 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 363
Austin Service Journal
Last Post: Tony Press
24-04-2024, 11:24 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 254
Big end clearance
Last Post: Dirk73
24-04-2024, 07:52 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 144
Running board rubbers
Last Post: Old Dave
24-04-2024, 06:35 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 4,008
The Peak Trials
Last Post: Malcolm Parker
24-04-2024, 08:34 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 4,338
Seven events from Septemb...
Last Post: Dean Waller
23-04-2024, 11:46 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 225

top replacement
Posted by: Vancevr - 06-05-2022, 10:31 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (6)

I am going to replace the top that someone put on a long time ago. It has hole where I drove under the mirror of a lifted truck and  put a hole in it and when putting it down it got cought on the frame and tore. Can I see some pics of some 1929 tourer tops. Mine I know is the wrong one for the car. I would like to see some pic of what it should look like originally

Print this item

road wheel rim loading and strength
Posted by: JonE - 06-05-2022, 11:06 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (9)

Just properly stripping a wheel down with the thought of putting new rim on and respoking. The return on the outer fold is perforated for 5" on one side only. While disassembling, I was struck by how solid the thing was despite 90 years of internal surface rust under the tube. 
Talking with someone about where exactly the loading is, they remarked that cars essentially hang from the upper spokes.
So that suggests that the spoke 'holders' are crucial first.
My question - IS it possible to safely repair a rim - and in what circumstances? I'm assuming the remaining 1928 metal will be of better quality than that of new ones today.

Print this item

Boot latch Ruby
Posted by: k8207418 - 06-05-2022, 06:58 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (5)

Hi
Can any one send me some good pics of a boot latch or advise what I’m missing 
This is all I have

Print this item

APD Rear-view Mirror
Posted by: Rick F - 06-05-2022, 12:08 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - No Replies

I've just been lucky enough to buy an APD Tourer. I know that originally they had a rear-view mirror that attached via a casting on the offside windscreen pillar. The car I have bought has the casting on the pillar, but the current mirror is a latter addition secured to the pillar by two screws - what I would call a "standard Desmo fixing".

Can anyone supply a photo of the original method of attaching the mirror arm to the windscreen pillar casting?

Print this item

Octane Magazine.
Posted by: Chris Garner - 05-05-2022, 10:18 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - No Replies

Speaking today with Mark Dixon, deputy editor of Octane magazine, he confirmed that Octane will be running a large article on the Seven in their September issue, ( I think) basing the content on him personally attending the Centenary event on the Saturday in a Seven.

Print this item

Original ulster engine rebuild
Posted by: Tony Betts - 05-05-2022, 09:13 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (80)

Well after an unsuccessful drive at guildtown. It's time to tackle the supersports engine.

Yes it's an original ulster engine, and I'm sure many would be afraid to use it. I've always had the same view there. If it's not being used. WHO is it being saved for.

anyway let's start with the problem, late last year I started to get the problem that the engine wouldn't start as quickly as it had, or even without choke. I put the car away in November. And in march a customer asked if I could start it for him. When I tried it refused totally with a no start. It sputtered a few times. Then nothing at all.

I checked the carb, fuel was going through fine. I checked the distrib. The rotor needed cleaning. And the engine started.but ran poorly.

So thinking it was an electrical problem, I started changing plugs, no change. Cap and leads, no change, condenser, no change. Coil, no change. I didnt change the contacts, but they were cleaned and adjusted.

Symptoms from here are, the engine starts with no throttle. But when revved it is rough, and the revs are not responsive, slow to build, then everything.

I gave it a road run before going to scotland, and it was the same on the road. Lumpy to get going but when it did it ran at 70mph as if it was a new car. So I thought I'd get away with the scotland weekend.

Sadly no, took the car into Perth friday. Alot of traffic. And everything just got worse.

I decided not to do the run Saturday, as I didnt want to risk a bigger bill. The only light relief was we got a trophy for car needing the most work Big Grin 

I've always felt the carb is far to rich, I've had the block off in the past to fix leaks, and the play in the bores was HUGE, and the distrib had plenty of slop in it.

So when I got back this week, the decision was to strip everything out and start from scratch.

Let's see what's working, and what's not.

So tuesday the 30 MOV carb came off, and was sent to the countries expert on these carbs. All being well a couple of weeks time it will come back ready to go.

I also phoned to made sure I could get the block in for a rebore, the answer. Drop it off saterday morning. Should be 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

So here's the strip down, as of today.

Plenty of oil on the starter, although I have NO clutch slip?

Losing plenty of oil under the car, on sump. And dripping down chassis.

Although I should say, a new leak started before scotland.

Turned out, oil was being forced up out of the rev counter cable. Which is in the nosecone.

Engine out.

Alot of oil around the engine bay.

This one surprised me.

The exhaust is a 3 into 1. So centre stud is cut off.

The exhaust is blowing between 2 and 3 exhaust port.

This is were it starts to get fun.

Removed the head.

The seal on the gasket is stunningly good.

But check the NEW spark plugs, 3 are parcially sooted. And 1 is fully sooted. They have only been in for 15 miles.

Also check the white patches over the inlet valves, but only in 3 cylinders.

Dont worry about the head gasket, I'll be putting a new one on Big Grin 

But also check the whitening around the inlet valve.

The pistons are old seven workshop ones.

I've tried to show the slop. It's around 30 thou. And should be around 10 thou.

Also after checking the bores. Number 3 cylinder is starting to get two grooves from the gudgeon pin.

This could be part of the progressive problem.

I dont know if the pics will show the sideways movement in the pistons.

However, they are standard pistons.

That's as far as I have gotten today.

Tomorrow the block has to come off, to go to the rebores saterday morning.

End of day 1.

Print this item

Unstamped crakncase
Posted by: Ian Williams - 05-05-2022, 09:08 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (8)

I have come across and unstamped Crankcase with 1926 foundry marks, this is the first one I have seen with no sign of an engine number anywhere. Have others come across similar crankcases or have any idea what they were used for?

Print this item

Wartburg.
Posted by: Robert Foreman - 05-05-2022, 08:18 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (6)

One of my latest acquisitions and what a cracker!

Print this item

useable rim for close nose wheel, L582 light parts
Posted by: JonE - 04-05-2022, 06:35 PM - Forum: Wants - No Replies

Has anyone got a useable rim for a closed nose wheel?

Lucas 582 rear lights - does anyone have an earlier threaded cap/s which house the jewelled glass lens?

thanks

Print this item

DK4A distributors
Posted by: Howard Wright - 03-05-2022, 09:40 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (15)

Hi All

I’ve run the Brookfields on a DJ4 manual advance distributor since I first put it together.  I thought I’d try an automatic advance DK4A. This is partly due to the increased tendency for the engine to knock using E10 fuel.

I have three DK4A distributors, two I believe are A7 originals and one from somewhere else. Top left in the photo is BN 86 838 8, top right is BN24 756 and what I believe is non Austin is the lower one marked BN30 435.

Both the distributors in the top of the picture have fairly sharp cam lobes whereas the lower one has more rounded lobes.  The top two show an arrow indicating anti-clockwise from below there is no arrow on the lower one but the Bob weights are in the same orientation as the other two.

Could anyone please indicate which are suitable A7 distributors and what effect the sharp cams v rounded cams would have on performance?

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   9A8D0DF4-1D3A-415C-B346-4D4CF65181F3.jpeg (Size: 126.88 KB / Downloads: 402)

Print this item