The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unstamped crakncase
I have come across and unstamped Crankcase with 1926 foundry marks, this is the first one I have seen with no sign of an engine number anywhere. Have others come across similar crankcases or have any idea what they were used for?
Black Art Enthusiast
I have an unstamped early coil crankcase and a friend a late unstamped SWB chassis.
I have had a  Nippy crankcase and a blown ten stud unnumbered crankcase through my hands. They are usually replacement items  to be numbered by the purchaser.
I also have an unstamped 10 stud blown crankcase, but then again I did only finish machining it last year!
I have another unmachined casting, if someone feels brave.

C
I have a sand cast Nippy Crankcase with no engine numbers on it.

It comes from a different set of foundry patterns to the two die cast cases that I have, One needs work on the cam bearing housing as it has a crack in it, the other one is ony fit to melt down and recast as a new crankcase.

From the look of the two die cast cases they have been cast from different foundry patterns from each other.
It make me wonder how many foundy patterns were used for Nippy engines.
It's a step too far with the old unstamped ones. Just as we are starting to be able to identify the clusters of interesting engines, one curses that they didn't bother to restamp the lost original's continued number!
Tony's poorly engine presently being covered in the threads likely one of a 10 no. batch, and at least 3 are extant, even before others which aren't on the register!
Thanks for the response's this case is in excellent condition in general, good threads studs, flange etc, but unfortunately has a small lump broken out where the front cam locating stud passes through into the bush. It is repairable and would be available if someone were desperate for an un marked 1926 crankcase.
Black Art Enthusiast
(06-05-2022, 05:15 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I have a sand cast Nippy Crankcase with no engine numbers on it.

It comes from a different set of foundry patterns to the two die cast cases that I have, One needs work on the cam bearing housing as it has a crack in it, the other one is ony fit to melt down and recast as a new crankcase.

From the look of the two die cast cases they have been cast from different foundry patterns from each other.
It make me wonder how many foundy patterns were used for Nippy engines.

The pressure fed Speedy crankcase that sold not so long ago on ebay was sand cast. That had been overstamped with a revised engine number.
Krakencase