The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astonishing attention to detail
The round wiring block was on the inside of the RN saloons because of the fuel tank on the other side, it took Austin's some time to realise that when the fuel tank went to the rear on the RP there was space for the block on the engine side of the bulkhead.
I can see the reasoning behind that, Dave, but was there a stamped hollow in the bulkhead of the front tanked cars as there is on mine (and I presume later ones) to accommodate the terminal block? Seems strange for Austin to have that and then not use it, although I muist admit it's better for the wiring joints to be behind the bulkhead rather than in front, as outside it's more susceptible to the weather.

[Image: 20230704-111839-resized-1-Copie.jpg]

please cast no aspersions for the state of my wiring!  Big Grin
That looks like me and my Tourer in Tony's photo!
I agree about the bulkhead being too glossy. 
I have both types of 26VA carb, presumably one is earlier than the other?  Am I using the wrong one on my car?  If so then I'll change it.
When I first bought the car in 1966 it was very dirty and tatty under the bonnet but appeared to be very original (typical "well used" condition of the time) with original wiring, brown painted cut-out covers and coil to match the brown bakelite parts of each.
Chris, I can understand your "twitchiness", but I used only original cable that I had personally carefully removed from cars, selecting clean undamaged lengths still retaining a degree of flexibility, and with no cracking noise of hardened rubber breaking apart when flexed.  I am confident that it will be safe but in any case I always isolate the battery when leaving the car and carry a fire extinguisher.
The A7s I saw in the 1960s had unpainted fans. Might it have been the Health and Safety influence of later years that inspired owners to paint them red, and does anyone have a definitive answer?
I have photos of a number of original barn find 1932/34 cars, nearly all show the terminal block located under the bonnet.  Providing you have the correct cap in place and a reasonably good fitting bonnet I think it's extremely unlikely to be affected by water - unless competing in trials.
Further comments are welcome...
Steve, I started from Ringwood, not Beaulieu, to Abergavenny so the timing wasn't nearly so impressive!
Nice work, Mick.
Your attention to detail Mick is superb and good to get a preview on the campsite. 
  One detail is the addition of a smaller O ring just on number 3 & 4 plug leads which I have always copied from original cars.
Thank you Ruaridh and Robert.
I don't recall ever seeing a ring on nos. 3 and 4 plug leads, but delving into my stock of spare wheels and tyres for vintage toy cars has yielded a suitable part, I think from a Triang Minic vehicle.  
The other, larger, ring is Meccano Part 142c, "tyre for 1 inch pulley" (comes treaded or plain, black or grey!)

I have nothing but awe and appreciation for those that set off in pursuit of originality. I have neither the time nor the dedication.
I am not sure if this provides a definitive answer to the fan question. There was discussion here some years ago about this subject. I, like you have over the years seen numerous freshly discovered cars with completely unpainted fans, however I have also come across fans with what appears to be remnant's of original red paint. It is of course very difficult the be certain if said red paint was applied by the factory or an early owner. As I recall others here had views supporting red paint and some could present evidence to back up their views. I am perhaps not 100% convinced but I feel there is enough weight of evidence to suggest the at least some sevens left the works with red fans.
Black Art Enthusiast
Of course if the fans had wooden blades then dendochronolgy would give us an answer.
The fan on my own car (built 1933) shows no sign of ever having been painted. It is just plain aluminium.