The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven caravan
I don't suppose you have a pic of the underside of that trailer do you Peter? It would be of some interest.
I don't Chris but next time I can reach it I'll see what I can do. It has a pair of Austin 7 front springs and a tubular axle with dropped ends, much like Eccles trailers of the pre-war period.
Regarding the external finish, I would go for a linen covering, with beading over the edges.  I think an eggshell finish would look appropriate, applied with a small roller.   I am sure the finished caravan will look as superb as the Highland Coupe.
Malcolm when I did a linen roof and painted it I used calico and found it used an enormous amount of paint, coat after coat.
Perhaps linen would have been better, less hairy, less absorbent.
On the Pytchley I used a cheap curtain lining material which I applied using varnish.  When dry I applied another two coats of varnish before painting with oil based egg-shell. It has proved to be very durable.
(16-02-2023, 09:08 AM)Peter Naulls Wrote: I don't Chris but next time I can reach it I'll see what I can do. It has a pair of Austin 7 front springs and a tubular axle with dropped ends, much like Eccles trailers of the pre-war period.

Thanks. I should have thought that is the main place to look for weight savings, though exactly how to determine what strength is needed is perhaps a challenge. 

As regards coachpainting, I can certainly vouch for Craftmaster paint, it's lovely stuff. If you are thinking of a lovely glossy mirror finish I should warn you that is pretty challenging for a novice to achieve. If as others are suggesting you skin with light fabric, or if you aren't troubled by a home-painted look with neat brush strokes visible, it will be considerably easier. I would be happy to share my own limited experience of coachpainting and point you to a few resources if it helps.
Spraying coach paint is surprisingly easy and gives a good gloss. Far easier than cellulose or two pack, but you do have to be careful about where the overspray lands. A white car can soon have a blue haze even when some distance away.
Thank you all for the advice. I rather like the idea of learning the skill of coach-painting though I'm sure the reality would be more frustrating! If and when I get to that stage Chris I will give you a call. 

I did notice a couple of years ago that there was a gentleman running residential courses from his croft on Rannoch Moor - how to coach-paint your narrowboat. Hilarious given the complete absence of canals in that area; it did appeal to my love of eccentricity.

As an aside has anyone any experience of cellulose paint from Craftmaster? My current supplier has been supplying some very dubious quality stuff recently and I am forced to look elsewhere.
(17-02-2023, 10:21 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Thank you all for the advice. I rather like the idea of learning the skill of coach-painting though I'm sure the reality would be more frustrating! If and when I get to that stage Chris I will give you a call. 

I did notice a couple of years ago that there was a gentleman running residential courses from his croft on Rannoch Moor - how to coach-paint your narrowboat. Hilarious given the complete absence of canals in that area; it did appeal to my love of eccentricity.

As an aside has anyone any experience of cellulose paint from Craftmaster? My current supplier has been supplying some very dubious quality stuff recently and I am forced to look elsewhere.

That sounds like Phil Speight, former proprietor (and founder) of Craftmaster. He's a nice bloke, I caught up with him at Debdale Wharf where he was signwriting a narrowboat (freehand...) and took an hour out to give me a painting lesson! John Barnard is also there and he has produced several helpful videos about narrowboat painting, which are worth a watch.