The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby, Exhaust Downpipe touching chassis
ok, next thing is what manifold have you got - if its not a Ruby one then the angle it sends the downpipe off at could be slightly different?
I had this problem after fitting a non-standard exhaust manifold.  I solved it by getting a friend with a milling machine to make me a very slightly wedge shaped steel spacer to fit between the manifold and downpipe flanges.  I also needed two flange gaskets and slightly longer bolts.
OK...Looking at Colin's photo, my pipe is not straight like the one in the photo, but kicks out toward the wing slightly. 

John, I think you have provided the solution. I will mill a wedge shaped insert between the pipe flange and manifold.

Thanks for the info.

Ian

By the way, how do you post photos? I can't find the instructions.
Ian,

Posting Photos link below:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...hp?tid=102
(06-08-2020, 09:45 PM)Ilmoro Wrote: OK...Looking at Colin's photo, my pipe is not straight like the one in the photo, but kicks out toward the wing slightly. 

John, I think you have provided the solution. I will mill a wedge shaped insert between the pipe flange and manifold.

Thanks for the info.

Ian

By the way, how do you post photos? I can't find the instructions.

Under 'Important Threads' at the top of the first page see:

Posting images on the new forum

.jpg   IMG_3762.JPG (Size: 48.85 KB / Downloads: 82)
.jpg   IMG_3761.JPG (Size: 27.41 KB / Downloads: 82)
.jpg   ex1.jpg (Size: 73.62 KB / Downloads: 82) For reference: I sorted this by machining a 3mm wedge in a steel flange (placed between the exhaust manifold and downpipe). The result is a 7mm gap at the chassis rail. (see photos) I have not yet ascertained whether this has made the car any quieter but I think it will allow more flex in the engine on its  mountings rather than in the crankcase. It is a 3 bearing engine, so should give more compliance with the lore that a rigidly fixed engine is a bad thing.

Ian