The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby, Exhaust Downpipe touching chassis
My exhaust downpipe is touching the nearside chassis rail (Ruby MK2) . Presumably it shouldn't be. Is there a simple way of rectifying this? Should I bother?

Thanks

Ian
It shouldn't be touching the chassis.

Not desperately important, but I'd hate it if it rattles.

Are your engine mountings ok?   Maybe it has moved due to worn rubber mounts, or a previous owner drilling holes bigger.

Or the front pipe isn't quite right, they do vary a bit.

Assuming they are all ok, if you slacken the 4 manifold to downpipe bolts you should get some movement sideways, so then you have to hold it there by moving the other rearward

mounting(s) a bit.
Try slackening all of the exhaust fittings to see if you can get any movement. Lock it all up whilst holding it away from the rail. Worth a try.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Is the exhaust pipe new?

The only reason I ask is that I had an issue with a new front end section that clashed with the flitch plate. I spent a lot of time fettling the flitch plate to allow the pipe to clear only to find it then clashed with the chassis. Fortunately I had a spare flitch plate but in the end I stuck with the original pipe front end and just used the new tail end and box.

Denis S
No it is not new, put on by previous owner(s). Flitch plate has been slightly relieved, but it is just and so touching the chassis. I tried loosening the downpipe bolts and pushing the pipe over, but no real change. I am reluctant to bend the pipe, or file 2mm off the chassis rail as that would not really be in the spirit of locating and fixing the problem. The downpipe/manifold joint has a 1/16" steel spacer between the gaskets probably in an attempt to rectify the fit. I think you may be correct in that the downpipe shape is slightly wrong. I was just wondering if others had had the problem...and how they sorted it?
Is the engine number fairly close the to the chassis number?
Chassis-270584,  Engine-271816.
ok - so nothing to do with wrong position as a result of a different crankcase seating.
If it's only a couple of mm clearance could you just flatten the pipe slightly where it touches.

Simon
Whilst this isn't a picture of my car (the picture is from the Dorset club website), it shows the same size gap as my Ruby - the exhaust is nowhere near the chassis rail.

Attached Files
.jpg   Exhaust Chassis Gap.jpg (Size: 36.13 KB / Downloads: 180)