The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
steering arm broken
Hi Reckers yes ok  its off road until i can source both steering arms ,going to have to "think outside the box" and try to get arms with the same bolt fixing pitch .Next stop fleabay , Thanks for your interest cheers Ally
I'm going to take a look in one of my infamous sheds. I believe I have an Austin 8 axle down there among the spiders.....
Hello Parazine, if you find it you can contact me on lesal2350@btinternet.com cheers Ally
Hi guys as I await a yay or nay from parazine has anyone had broken steering arms professionally welded/repaired and if so where ? Now I expect howls of disapproval /  derision but in the modern world we live in and with improved welding techniques surely it must be possible to repair the impossible to find part
Sorry Ally, I had clean forgotten about this, my apologies. I went down to the shed and disturbed mother blackbird, who flew off with a loud clucking. I did find this. Might be Austin 8 or possibly Austin 10?

.jpg   DSC_1065s.JPG (Size: 81.63 KB / Downloads: 335)

I'll email the other pictures to you.
Hi parazine  yes thanks hope mother blackbird is back in shed now  ,the ones in my garden are fighting like mad with feathers flying everywhere ! have sent you an email so will take it from there cheers Ally
(06-05-2021, 04:23 PM)Ally Monce Wrote: Hi guys as I await a yay or nay from parazine has anyone had broken steering arms professionally welded/repaired and if so where ? Now I expect howls of disapproval /  derision but in the modern world we live in and with improved welding techniques surely it must be possible to repair the impossible to find part

Regarding weld repairs to steering etc. parts this quote is from the MOT testers' manual "Welded repairs to highly stressed components are not normally acceptable, other than where the component is made up of sections that are welded together"

It's from this section: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspecti...%20design.

Although this section refers specifically to welded repairs where there has been corrosion, I understand from an MOT tester that it's a general principal, When I pointed out that the item in question (a drag link) had been modified, not repaired, problem solved Smile.
Very defintely a fail here if recognised. Heating of axle eyes also theoretically very illegal, including shrinkage by welding but all testers now too unfamiliar to spot It may have been seriously straightend in the past when such practices were common. A crack free replacement is much to be preferred.
Hi Guys  a very big thank you to Parazine for his help in me getting my 39 AP tourer 8 back on the road Big Grin your/our members are willing to help other Austin owners out which makes this club stand head and shoulders above the rest!!Again a big thank you to Parazine cheers mate Ally

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Isn't that Major Upsett's  old car, running again after all his adventures? Big Grin