The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
steering arm broken
Hi guys sunday past" drive it day " ended in disaster coming to a grinding skidding abrupt halt. Investigations revealed the track rod had parted company by the n/s steering arm having snapped off on my 1939 Austin 8 AP tourer with the roadwheel at a very strange angle . (my 1929 A7 van is in bits ) Now fortunately for me a very kind near neighbour assisted me to get my car back to my house by kicking the n/s roadwheel to the required direction as I very slowly drove it back home having bungeeg the track cross rod up to stop it dragging on the road  (had only gone 100 yds when the steering broke) As I am 76 and getting to bloody old for this kind of thing . Would any of you kind souls know if the A Big seven or indeed the seven steering arms be of use on the 39 AP tourer .I would want to renew both and also the track rod ends .Also would anyone know if the A30/35 ones would be of any use (I have fitted the a series engine ) and it runs sweet using a modified back plate and the original gearbox ,All and any advice ,suggestions are most welcome (we invest in our Austins) thanks regards Ally Sad Huh
if I understand your thread you are saying that the steering arm has snapped. If so then this is a recognised weak point and David C at Austin Seven components supplies new re-engineered arms with strengthened 'corner'.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
It's not for an Austin Seven it's for an Austin 8. No idea if it's the same part. A photo might help.
Ah yes missed that, thanks Reckers, sorry Ally, ignore my post.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
It seems the track rod which is affected, not the more serious main arm as on Sevens.I have heard of other makes where track rod failure only became really obvious when the car slowed down.
The reliabilty of moderns always surprises, despite wide tyres, slender components and abuse of the power steering. Older cars weere designed by intuition, negotiated a myriad more turns and noone knows what treatment has been inflicted in the past. Serious crash damage was not remedied by extensive replacement.
Hi Andy ,thanks for your reply and info,appreciated .I will contact David to find out what info he has and if he can help .Cheers Ally
It's unlikely anything from an A30/35 will be suitable, as they have independent front suspension.
Austin Counties Car Club, may be worth a try.
www.austincounties.org.uk
        Hi Reckless dimensions are 9" long with 1,1/2" fixing bolts pitch .Cheers Ally
There's nothing on an Austin Seven (Big or otherwise) like that. You're going to need to source it outwith our cherished suppliers if I'm not mistaken. Looking at the ball joint end, it looks like it has been cracked for a while. I would check the other side while you're at it.