The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wooden Garage or Workshop
Definitely go for wood, I built this one myself 20 years ago and I never suffered any problems with condensation, in fact I had a complete soda blasted bodyshell standing in there for 18 months and it was shiny as the day I put it in there!
[Image: supashed-side@96dpi.jpg]
Hi
Try googling carbuzz, search garages and scroll down to ultimate dream garages.
Get an awful lot of A7’s in some of them
(01-02-2019, 09:53 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Prior to moving here 25 years ago I had a Banbury concrete slab garage with an almost flat big six asbestolux roof and metal up and over door. It leaked like a sieve , very bad condensation when the weather was cold and frosty. 
I took the roof off , pitched the roof supports and put a 3/4” plywood roof on , double felted. Sealed all of the block joints with mastic and then cement. I then laid two layers of strong polythene sheet on the floor followed by 2x2 batons and 3/4” ply. A new set of wooden doors one third stable door and the other two thirds half glazed. Ok, not the warmest but dry and useable.
I now have a purpose built brick garage 30x20’ with pit , overhead beams and wood burner. AND ITS STILL NOT BIG ENOUGH.

With the exception of having wooden double doors, this sounds like my garage. Your treatment of it is much as I had been considering, rather than replacing it, but 14' by 8' will be a bit tight with the car, pushbikes, BSA, small lathe and still having space to work. I know 16' by 9' is not a massive increase, but it should help.

Thank you for all of the information.

Jamie.
More shed pictures please! Nurse said I'm allowed as long as I don't print any...
(02-02-2019, 10:27 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: More shed pictures please!...

My shed is an ex-WD Nissen hut, 16' x 30': corrugated asbestos roof panels with brick end walls. I sprayed the inside of the roof with a 3" thick foam lining and this has resulted in an equable environment, cool in summer and warm - well, not too cold - in winter... and no condensation. The earth floor is not ideal but I've got too much junk in there to contemplate emptying it to resurface!

.jpg   IMG_7081.800.jpg (Size: 181.55 KB / Downloads: 247)
My son rented space in one like that to rebuild his BMW E30. It had been used for growing mushrooms in and stank.
A few years ago, I updated my wooden sheds putting this 27 x 15 in at the end of the garden, and reconditioned the 20 year old 33 x 11 to make an L shape.

Wood is a must.
You can insulate everything, and it's ok.
But the thing that stop aluminium from furing up, was to put the interlinking square foam matting on the floor.
[attachment=5273]

[attachment=5274]

The wisest information has already been sed on here by many others.

When it come to shed, build them as big as you can get away with.

You will always fill them.

I have.

[attachment=5275]

[attachment=5276]
Yes, stuff expands toil and even just exceed the available storage space...
Is that a handmade ali mudguard I see there Tony?
(02-02-2019, 07:04 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Yes, stuff expands toil and even just exceed the available storage space...
Is that a handmade ali mudguard I see there Tony?

Hi Duncan,

Yes it is.

Also a body bulge and a glove pocket under it.

I keep meaning to hang them on the wall in the museum.

But I have to much signage that needs hanging, so they keep being moved around.

I'll have a proper sort soon, and find the three pieces a proper display point.

I'd love to empty the spares part, and have it all as an automobilia museum.

One day, Tony.