The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wooden Garage or Workshop
Good morning.

I hope to replace my current 1950s concrete prefab garage which has an asbestos roof and a concrete slab floor with a larger, single-skinned wooden one. The new garage will have a separate wooden floor and will be up off from the ground on brick supports with DPC between the brick and wood.

Does anyone have any experience using this type of garage for their cars? The main problem with the current structure is the chronic condensation, with most things getting damp. I have insulation the floor and there is plenty of ventilation.

We have a wooden Wendy House in which nothing seems to get wet. I am hoping that the new garage will also be less prone to the wet, but should appreciate thoughts from anyone with experience of wooden garages.

Regards,

Jamie.
Jamie, I own a prefab lock-up and yes condensation can be an issue. Have you checked the ventilation gaps and rainwater guttering carefully? As I find few people do and they do make a difference.

If changing to a wooden structure you might do well to check with your insurer first.
Talk to Martin Prior. He's the shed man.
Yes, I have one which I bought on Ebay from Redtish Sheds, it doesn't have a wooden floor (but they do it as an addition )and it has DPC between the wood and slab. It is 20ft x12ft tongue and groove construction, with windows, side personnel door and a pair of double doors to the front. it cost£1800 + £300 delivery and erection, although it does not suffer from condensation its not exactly tropical inside and I intend to use Celotex board to insulate it.If you PM your email address I will send you photos of it.
Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. There is definitely plenty of ventilation: there is a right draught around my legs when working out there. The guttering is a bit hit or miss, though, I confess, and probably does not help. The roof also drips through the sheeting itself. That is a good point about the insurance and I shall check.

Reckless,
Thank you for the suggestion.

James.
Photo 
I made one last year 20 metre squared from 28mm Weather board (T&G) using Douglas fir, and pitched roof in tiles, concrete floor.  Its just big enough to comfortably get both the A7 and a 2CV in side by side (1 is LHD,  the other RHD).  I also have a workshop made in a similar fashion and my tools don't go rusty.

It's really not difficult to build one from scratch and clad it in feather board or shiplap. Simple stuff really, it just takes some thought. You can then tailor it to suit the site and your needs. That said it's very hard to make one as nicely as Martin Prior does....
I'd also go for a concrete raft over a wooden floor for durability. It's not hard to lay a decent one over a membrane to keep it dry.

C
I purchased a similar building from Passmores a while back..

http://www.passmores.co.uk/

They were very helpful (the chap I spoke to owned a pre-war MG so we *bonded* when I told him what I wanted to keep in it) They designed a bespoke building based on one of their standard products which was delivered and erected by their own staff. I've been very happy with it...

hth...
We manufacture timber buildings of all types, including garages, to order - they don't need to be as fancy as "The Motor Works"! 

Timber garages are much drier that concrete or brick.  I've kept my cars in our own products for the last 44 years and have never had any issues with rust or rot.  We can, of course, supply them insulated and internally lined and also with wooden floors that are robust enough to take the weight of cars much bigger than an A7.

Please PM me for more information.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   GAR-Cargill1.jpg (Size: 3.55 KB / Downloads: 447)
Whatever you decide Jamie, make it as big as you can afford (given the constraints of the space available). When we moved into the new house down here I built myself a new garage. It is 8 metres by 8 metres (28'x28') with room for three cars side by side AND plenty of workshop space. It has half the roof space given over to storage, as well as a mezzanine for the garden furniture etc.

I built it in concrete blocks with a timber roof structure covered in roman tiles. All in, finished, with electrics, plumbing and a "facility" it came to 11,000€. You can do a timber one even cheaper if you DIY.

[Image: 20180626-195056.jpg]

Just remember - You NEVER have enough space!