The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Good on you all! If I had attempted that with my kids they would have been on the phone to Social Services and Childline!
We confiscate phones on trips like this, for that very reason! Wink
Hi Ruairidh 

I do hope the weather improves although the forecast is not good  Sad.  What I can see of the scenery through the ‘wee scotch mist’ is spectacular.

Cheers

Howard
Today we drove to nearby Newby Hall, near Ripon, for the NECPWA annual event. There were more cars than ever, it was huge! I counted 18 sevens, but there might have been more.

Now that the Chummy is roadgoing I'm finding plenty of jobs that need sorting.

First up today was the atrocious brakes. Fortunately this was easily identified as the rear brake levers being the wrong way up which was quickly put right, and along with some cleaning and greasing they're more what I'd expect.

Second job while I was around the rear axle was an oil change. Unfortunately among the sludgy oil was this: 

The crown wheel isn't obviously missing any chunks as far as I could see so presumbly the pinion is the culprit. I hadn't really factored in an axle rebuild so this definitely isn't ideal. The axle is a bit of an unknown so I don't know how recently any damage would have happened or what the underlying cause is. I'm assuming with chunks of metal that big in the oil it's fairly terminal and total failure is a case of when rather than if!

[attachment=22097

What we did yesterday was to bear the banner of Longbridge to triumph in Ian Grace's Cotswold Navigation Rally. Perhaps Team Cowley had decided that we had been winning for too long, modesty prevents me from saying exactly how many years Sevens  have won, let's not boast about numbers but just say always. We still managed to be a couple of points ahead, phew.  This was the final event starting on, or near the lawns of Prescott and finishing at Stanway, next year it will move to a new venue at Bicester.  Thanks to Jayne and Ian, and well done team.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(16-07-2023, 07:55 PM)RupertW Wrote: I'm assuming with chunks of metal that big in the oil it's fairly terminal and total failure is a case of when rather than if!

Rupert, stop driving the car and investigate it now while (a) you are safe and sound at home and (b) bearings and diff carrier may still be serviceable.
attachment=22225
attachment=22226
What award winning Sevens did.   Re-enact Gray's Elegy to Sevens in a Country Churchyard.  Chummies pictured as the Ruby was a bit too big to get through the lych gate. Then proceed line astern through the ford. Neither machine was emitting enough smoke to be mistaken for a German destroyer. (No amount of poking at keys can get the images to sit in an organised manner above the text.)

Today tree Austin Sevens met Gez Parton and Josie  at the Devon/Cornwall border and shephered him to a rendevous in mid Cornwall. where the  more westerly members of CA7C took him on to Lands End and beyond. Generally in horrible weather!

...and of course in Steve Kay's posting, those who know their Sevens will have spotted UL 5219, the green open car outside the house. Yes, another Gordon England Stadium! This time beautifully restored by Val & Nigel Brookes.