The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven

.jpg   IMG_0523.JPG (Size: 33.79 KB / Downloads: 731)
.jpg   IMG_0525.JPG (Size: 17.61 KB / Downloads: 731) Had an interesting day checking over my spare mag engine.
Interesting- the 1 1/8 inch crank has clearly been replaced with a larger one.
I've photographed the serial number on the crankshaft and crank case for interest.
Incidentally, I have no history whatsoever with my chummy, which I've had for  2years, I know it belonged to a clock restorer in Frome, but that's it. It did have bright blue wheels at some point, but I have coloured it in- all black, which I prefer. It's a bit tatty, but that's how I like them.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0526.JPG (Size: 15.94 KB / Downloads: 716)
.jpg   IMG_0527.JPG (Size: 26.38 KB / Downloads: 716)
.jpg   IMG_0528.JPG (Size: 36.01 KB / Downloads: 716)
.jpg   IMG_0530.JPG (Size: 33.82 KB / Downloads: 719)
.jpg   IMG_0529.JPG (Size: 14.38 KB / Downloads: 717)
Putting back wiring in my RK after fixing a crack in the SM5 switch (I just soldered across the gap).  Finding this drove me nearly crazy!  Just couldn't figure out the continuity problem and why the dynamo wouldn't behave.  The crack was hidden under wires and corrosion until I took the whole thing apart.

Got a decent charge on summer setting now.
you appear to have a horizontal crack going right across the bakelite, from hole to hole, which may cause this problem to reappear.
Cracked up the Brooklands for an early morning trip to Sainsbury's. Lovely warm spring morning, just right for shorts and T-shirt.
Upon joining a three hundred yard long queue we were entertained by an old gent who, despite the protestations of some, shuffled to the head of the queue, ignored everyone and walked straight in!
The return trip was made at speeds close to maximum revs, Very invigorating!
Wonderful, Chris.  Good to hear that you are using the Brooklands for your essential needs.  Have you rejetted the Solex to make it a bit more tractable?
I haven't had my Austins out since the lock down.  Recent attention has turned to adding a branchline to the model railway I started over 40 years ago.  Railway modelling must be the best hobby possible for self-isolation!
Making up rubber floor mats for Chitti (1932 AG tourer) An interesting exercise in multi dimensional thinking (for me anyway!) Really a case of measure twice & then again. I am using 4mm thick fine ribbed rubber. I will have a go at making the mat for the tunnel out of three sections & attempt to superglue them together. As the TR register said about removing rear spring eyes by threading a 3/8 bolt into the hole provided in the eye "only an optimist will attempt this method...."
I will put some canvas type backing on the blind side of the mats around slots, holes etc. My old Frogeye had this on it's mats (as original) and it gave useful support.
What to do about the running boards? The car is 6ft3" wheelbase, so Chummy type aluminium "pads" could be fitted, but there are mysterious 1/4" holes in the running board (one each side) almost under the A post...what was that for?..
When I got it, it had (very) home made rubber mats glued to the boards.
(11-04-2020, 03:55 PM)David.H Wrote: ...there are mysterious 1/4" holes in the running board (one each side) almost under the A post...what was that for?..
When I got it, it had (very) home made rubber mats glued to the boards.
Auxiliary petrol tank mounting?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I found this video online very interesting for making a complex pattern for cutting a floormat. Could be a useful method in a variety of jobs.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1tOnkSw...ploademail
Thanks for that....bit late as I am almost done! My beautifully measured & made foot-well sides are now a bit tight....I forgot to allow for 4mm of rubber. Earlier correspondence suggested they might make the area around the accelerator pedal a bit tight are unfounded, they fit flush to the skin in that area, so only about 1/8" lost!
Useful tips for the rubber mat but best of all is the lovely pressed steel dashboard!