The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
thanks guys.... quite relieved having read your responses... that the oil pressure reading is normal for the spit-and-hope lubrification I did now but I had considered fitting an external / remote oil filter but that wil require an uprated oil pump and By Jove where am I going to find. one that wil fit a Rosengart engine without machining issues.... And I'll settle for 70. kph if that's what it is as long as. it gets there decently and like Mike said.... engaging 3rd and coming in at approx 1600 rpm it wil take ages for revs to climb...
Todays task was cutting out the trim sections and modifying Martin Priors Ruby 1/4 panel cards to fit a Pearl and cutting new panels for the side of the roof before sending them to Simon Laxton for trimming.
I went out in the chummy yesterday and the b@stard think kept conking out with an empty float chamber in the carb.

Today I robbed the carb off the saloon and put it on the chummy. 60odd miles lelater we got home without conking out once. Though we did have to put the hood up so my daughters snot didnt freeze.

[Image: 008_1703.jpg]
we went to ironbridge to see the freshly painted bridge in 'primer' before and after
[Image: 008_1706.jpg]

[Image: 008_1705.jpg]

Then we went to see my mate Bob who lives opposite thos lot. I'm not certain but I was expecting the smoke to come out of the chimmock. Thankfully Bobs 'Gronk' was at the other end, so there didnt seem to be a problem.
(25-11-2018, 11:16 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I went out in the chummy yesterday and the b@stard think kept conking out with an empty float chamber in the carb.

Today I robbed the carb off the saloon and put it on the chummy. 60odd miles lelater we got home without conking out once. Though we did have to put the hood up so my daughters snot didnt freeze.

[Image: 008_1703.jpg]
we went to ironbridge to see the freshly painted bridge in 'primer' before and after
[Image: 008_1706.jpg]

[Image: 008_1705.jpg]

Then we went to see my mate Bob who lives opposite thos lot. I'm not certain but I was expecting the smoke to come out of the chimmock. Thankfully Bobs 'Gronk' was at the other end, so there didnt seem to be a problem.
Same problem as my AG tourer...I don't have the luxury of a spare carb! I just keep stopping & sometimes it does 10 miles, sometimes 500yards! I'm sure it is all to do with the needle & the bob weights sticking in the needle (if you follow me!)
Hi Hedd
Whats with the railway engine? The Yanks might not have gone much for spit and polish but the driver must be annoyed at a smutted cab. Was a light up left unattended? The tender looks like it has already suffered one fire.
I thought American engines would greatly exceed the UK loading gauge but that one does not look huge.
Ironbridge looks so innocuous in present day quiet surroundings it is hard to appreciate its historical importance.
One of the many anoying features of moderns is that there is nowhere to stand a Thermos. Although I have had one or two blown over. And driven off with items on the roof.
Nowadays youngsters are about the only persons proportioned for Sevens.
(25-11-2018, 11:58 PM)David.H Wrote: Same problem as my AG tourer...I don't have the luxury of a spare carb! I just keep stopping & sometimes it does 10 miles, sometimes 500yards! I'm sure it is all to do with the needle & the bob weights sticking in the needle (if you follow me!)

It was certainly on the top of the probable list. But I wasnt convinced there wasnt something upseting the outlet in the tank. The carb swap certainly proved it was the needle/float.

I must admit to having got the lid stuck and I suspected I bent the needle, though it looks straight. 

Steve Hodgson did the carb some time ago, so I will probably ask him to check it properly for me and fix as required. Then put it back on the saloon. Unfortunatley that also has a U/S dynamo. So is due a bit of TLC.
(26-11-2018, 09:20 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote:
(25-11-2018, 11:58 PM)David.H Wrote: Same problem as my AG tourer...I don't have the luxury of a spare carb! I just keep stopping & sometimes it does 10 miles, sometimes 500yards! I'm sure it is all to do with the needle & the bob weights sticking in the needle (if you follow me!)

It was certainly on the top of the probable list. But I wasnt convinced there wasnt something upseting the outlet in the tank. The carb swap certainly proved it was the needle/float.

I must admit to having got the lid stuck and I suspected I bent the needle, though it looks straight. 

Steve Hodgson did the carb some time ago, so I will probably ask him to check it properly for me and fix as required. Then put it back on the saloon. Unfortunatley that also has a U/S dynamo. So is due a bit of TLC.

Thanks for that. Mine has a new needle & weights, but they don't fit well into the needle shoulders(?) & keep falling out!
An anorak writes; the US Transportation Corps class S160 were built for use in Europe, and to British loading guage. Some worked here for a while but the whole stock was taken across the Chanel after D-Day. The handful now here are from a very wide range of sources. The important question raised by the photo is which of the operating 2-8-0s is disguised as number1225? And unless a S160 has gone to Telford for Santa use, as one did a couple of years ago, where did Hedd find "1225"? An heroic day out with kids in the Chummy clutching their Ian Allan spotters book if the loco is on the West Somerset or the Churnet Valley, but I can't beleive that the day out got as far as the Keithley and Worth Valley!  I think we should be told.
Way back on page eight the weigt of the pretty maroon Roesgart was mentionedto be at about 650kg /13cwt. A 1920s three speed Chummy weighs around 430/450 kg 8 1/2cwt according to the handbook, a lot less. I believe even late Rubies are under the Rosegarts weight so leasurely meanderings on flattish roads may be the order of the day. Where I live more than a couple of three speed Sevens have had 4 speed boxes fitted, if nothing else to stop baulking all the four speeders changing gears at very different speeds when out on a club run. Flea weight Chummys should roll on happily between gears so are you sure everything else is in excellent shape, including no dragging brakes (let alone a headwind).
re. SU carbs. Now it's over 60 years since I last played with Morris Minor and 850cc mini carbs the memory may be a but shakey. My instructions for initial setting the jet was just above the bridge, never under, sorry can't remember the number of flats the jet was lowered. Anyway, once the enginge ran and warmed up the dashpot needle was raised slightly and if the revs raised and stayed there the mixture was too weak, ie. needle still too close to jet. Revs dropped, too rich, jet/needle gap to big. Ideally when raising the dash pot the revs first rise then fall to stalling, and then M/Minors rasped back through the exhaust on the overrun perfection was nigh - never seemed to work on the mini's though. Running, or trying to without a spring never seemed to work as the revs became very 'wooly'.
peter.
(26-11-2018, 02:50 PM)Steve kay Wrote: An anorak writes; the US Transportation Corps class S160 were built for use in Europe, and to British loading guage. Some worked here for a while but the whole stock was taken across the Chanel after D-Day. The handful now here are from a very wide range of sources. The important question raised by the photo is which of the operating 2-8-0s is disguised as number1225? And unless a S160 has gone to Telford for Santa use, as one did a couple of years ago, where did Hedd find "1225"? An heroic day out with kids in the Chummy clutching their Ian Allan spotters book if the loco is on the West Somerset or the Churnet Valley, but I can't beleive that the day out got as far as the Keithley and Worth Valley!  I think we should be told.
Its the Polar Express Ill have you know. 

At Telford. 

I was traction engine spotting by the way. Theres one the other side of the hedge.