The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Having spent a lot of time and a not inconsiderable amount of money between November, when I got my box saloon and now getting it reliable which work has included a new clutch, having the petrol tank cleaned professionally, fitting flashing indicators and a myriad of silly maintenance jobs, It is nice to climb into it and just drive it.

I have spent this last weekend putting a clutch in a friends Fiat Punto that is in the same sort of condition as the average 'barn find' so this afternoon, it being sunny, I took the Seven for a drive just to remind me what a proper car is like.
(28-01-2019, 08:12 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(28-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: With the tail lift on the floor I guess.

Sorry, being a little dense! It's been a long day...

My job often involves problem solving and out of the box thinking. My first thought was what if it didn't have the lift? Well, you could dig a big sloped hole to back the truck into to get the bed level with the ground. But then the optimising part of my brain kicked in and said well you only need to dig half the hole and use the dirt from that to build a little ramp...

My day is just starting and I get bored easily!  I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how I can build an exhaust manifold.

Simon
My fellow tight-arsed Yorkshireman Dave (How Much?) Wortley makes them from those wall handles they use for "older" people that need help in their bathrooms. Apparently the curved bits are really useful.

4-2-1 works best.
(28-01-2019, 08:31 PM)jansens Wrote:
(28-01-2019, 06:54 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: With the tail lift on the floor I guess.

My job often involves problem solving and out of the box thinking. My first thought was what if it didn't have the lift? Well, you could dig a big sloped hole to back the truck into to get the bed level with the ground. But then the optimising part of my brain kicked in and said well you only need to dig half the hole and use the dirt from that to build a little ramp...

My day is just starting and I get bored easily!  I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how I can build an exhaust manifold.

Simon

Let me know if you succeed - that's one of my challenges for the Spring. I'm intending to bend it in one piece rather than weld bits together...
I was going to weld mine mainly because I recently got a TIG and need and excuse to learn to use it! I have some 1 inch thin wall pipe, galvanised but I will strip that off before welding. For bending I was going to make some formers from hardwood to bend around. I might need to do the fill the pipes with sand trick but when making my body frame I was able to bend that tube fine with nothing but a hole in a block of wood and it worked ok. 

I was going to try the four straight pipes coming out then curving into a tapered collector. I know it's not the most efficient but its easier for me to try to make as a first go and it will suit the car and work with the body style I have. And I can make it all in one flat plane with simple bends rather than trying to work out some complicated 3D shape as a first attempt. I really just need something I can use when I first try to start the car.

What diameter should the outlet be? About 30mm?

This sort of thing (from this page https://www.speedwellengineering.com/news/page/2/): 

[Image: austin7_011.jpg]

Also I got an answer to my bolts question (thanks David). They are special bolts, will order those tonight.

Simon
My bother's Ruby hadn't turned a wheel in years, so I have braved the cold, dragged it out from the back of the garage and got it running again. I've cleaned it, fitted a new battery, put in some fresh petrol and attended to a number of smaller items, then driven it around the block a couple of times. Next on the list is to re-fit the rear wings, along with a new set of running boards and covers. This was an older restoration, carried out on a shoestring when my brother and I were youngsters, about 1987. I've recently developed an appetite to crack on with various jobs to improve it as much as possible and get some use out of it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Simply rolled the crane back onto the van and reversed the process at home...on a sloping driveway!
Reckless,
Not as tight as my work mate Ron who wouldn’t buy a 5 day canteen ticket in case he kicked the bucket before he had used them all. Cheers,
Dave ( HM )Wortley.
Now that is tight!

Being the more extravagant type that I am, today's job was draining and replacing the rear axle oil on the RP. As a fan of regular maintenance I have decided to do it as a precautionary measure seeing as it's 30 years since I last changed it...
Hi Bruce - did any oil come out ?