The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Electronic ignition
Stuart, yes it was one of those. They were quite effective if all you wanted was a full throttle device. The other problem was they wouldn’t tick over and tended to catch fire. All good fun.
Alan Fairless
(20-02-2018, 07:53 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: I have an Accuspark unit on my Ruby. Definite improvement over standard dizzy or Bosch-style dizzy. Engine runs smoother and happier. I carry a standard unit in the car in case electronic one packs up.

I have a unit supplied by Powerspark of Bromsgrove on our 1937, recently re named two seat tourer.
This worked brilliantly throughout our extended tour of Europe giving noticeably smoother running than points ignition and easy starting.
We did carry a standard DK4A under the seat as an umbrella on a sunny day as it happened.
Doug Castle did an article on this which can be accessed online.
So I’m with Nick on this one.

Charles
Brake Light question moved to new thread.
LINK
Not a wal  Philips fuel injector a fire waiting to happen!!!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
     Today’s exercise , electronic ignition on the AD tourer
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
There was recently a poll on another classic car forum I post to, this was regarding the reliability or otherwise of electronic ignition packs.

I was staggered when it was determined (by about 3 to 1) that those who used electronic ignition packs were FAR more likely to have issues & when they did these issues were far more debilitating than changing a set of points or a condenser.

If you are worried about reliability, make sure you use good quality spare parts, service your car regularly & keep a spare set of points, a rotor arm & a condenser in your tool kit.
Couldn’t agree more, as with my Ape tourer
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
For an extra £39 you can buy the workings as a back up. Anybody taken this step?
I can remember my dad soldering the contacts from modern cars ( 1970,s ) onto the Seven points as the only stuff around then was if you were lucky enough to find an ancient garage with stock out the back.
I have been hoarding original points and condensers ever since so I will keep mine original its good enough for 6000 RPM
We went into one such garage to be told they had just recently chucked all the old stock down the local mineshaft.
We are Lucky to have these modern problems to discus.
Use a magneto and you don't even need a battery........

But a spare magneto may be handy.

C