The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Electronic ignition
Having just purchased a 38 Ruby I am thinking of changing to electronic ignition.There is nothing wrong with the original Dizzy and it starts ok,I intend to use the car on a regular basis for fun and want to cut down the possible problem areas.I admire 'purists' and their desire to keep things as is.Iam interested in sensible comments/pitfalls on the subject----any takers? Cheers. Dodgy
If your electronic system fails when out on the road, that's it. You're going no further. If you original distributor system that's currently working fine does fail, you have a chance of fixing it particularly if you carry a spare condenser, set of points, rotor arm and distributor cap as all sensible people do as a minimum.

I'd suggest you're increasing the possible problem areas rather than reducing them. If it's not broken, why mend it?

Steve
I'd have to agree.  Points ignition does fail but can usually be fixed by the roadside.  I changed my aeroplane Lucas SR4 magnetos to Ford Mondeo ignition modules and have had great success but Ford stuff is ultra reliable (relatively) and, of course, there are 2 of them.  Best to stick with something that can be fixed easily rather than something more complex that will leave you stranded, IMHO.
There was a previous post on this very subject a few months ago, the brand-new distributor with electronic ignition sold by Accuspark has had rave reviews, I have fitted it to both my Uncle's & my cars, had a similar set-up for over 14 years on my 1965 Rover P6, would never go back to points set-up - it might be different if the components were of good quality like the Lucas originals, but those days are long since gone, so go ahead and fit this, smoother running, better performance, never goes out of tune and if it does fail, call recovery, something we should all have. If you buy, type in CLUB7 in the discount box, it was giving a very useful reduction!
I have an Accuspark unit on my Ruby. Definite improvement over standard dizzy or Bosch-style dizzy. Engine runs smoother and happier. I carry a standard unit in the car in case electronic one packs up.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with points and condenser providing the components used are fit for purpose. The big problem I have encountered is the quality or lack of quality of aftermarket condensers which encouraged me to go electronic ignition. I've never had a problem but I do keep a spare electronic module in my kit of spares that can be changed as easily as a condenser. 

John
Our Heavy 12-4 was fitted with an discrete electronic ignition module in 1981, if fired up first pop this morning, as it has always done.

When the Accuspark units became available for Sevens last year I tried one, was immediately taken by the considerable improvements to running and starting it offered, and now have one on all of my coil ignition Sevens.

Before I fitted the electronic units I carried a complete spare (working) distributor so that, if I encountered problems, it could be swapped over very quickly at the side of the road.

Now I have electronic units I still carry the complete spare (working) distributor so that, if I encounter problems, it can be swapped over very quickly at the side of the road.

All is good.
My experience is all the positive previous answers, as Ruairidh I carry the standard set up as spare.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(20-02-2018, 10:59 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: My experience is all the positive previous answers, as Ruairidh I carry the standard set up as spare.

Same here. It is a fit and forget that gave a noticeable and useful improvement in overall running. And yes, the old one is under the seat.
I suppose I shall have to give in and join the modern world. The problem, as has been stated, is the utter junk that is being sold these days; even the Distributor Doctor has come on board!