The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Greetings! New owner from India
A question to all regarding crankshaft and flywheels. 

My 1931 has an earlier engine from around 1928/29. When I bought the car, the engine was fitted with the earlier 1 1/8" crank along with a 1 1/8" flywheel. 

Since the old crank was heavily ground, I decided to bring in a new crankshaft which is 1 5/16" so now the crank rear end won't fit into the flywheel. 

Should we skim the end of the crank to fit through the flywheel or do we skim the flywheel to the size of the crank? Which is the better option?

Thank you in advance.
Neither would be a route I would choose to go.

You either need to modify a later 4 speed flywheel to accept the early cover plate, or find a 1929-32 three speed flywheel, or fit a brand new 1 1/8" crankshaft.

Currently, if you wish to use the 1 5/16" crankshaft, you will need to alter/change the flywheel, modify the front main lip, use later rods, grind a little material from the centre camshaft ring housing, use a later rear main bearing, thrower and cover plate, and drill an oil escape hole.
Thank you Ruaridh.

Yes, I do wish to use the 1 5/16" crank which came with matching rods. I have the correct size rear main bearing, thrower and cover plate. I don't know about the oil escape hole, I will have to check on that. 

Thanks for pointing out that we will have to grind a bit of the camshaft ring housing and modify the front lip. 

Let me see if I can find a 1929-32 three speed flywheel, I had a feeling that it would be required.