The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Greetings! New owner from India
Hello everyone. I'm Prithvi from Calcutta, India and have just picked up an Austin 7 tourer which I bought on my birthday.

It's a single owner car which hasn't seen the light of day in 40-50 years. I haven't had a chance to clean the car yet and I know I will have to do a complete restoration.

I would be very grateful if some of you could tell me what Austin 7 this is? I know it's a short wheelbase, steel body, 2 seams at the back, small doors, 25.5 inch bonnet & 8 inch scuttle. Does that mean it's an AG tourer? 

The chassis no. is 138510, does that mean it's a 1931?

I would appreciate any help in identifying the car. I will of course need a lot of help in terms of technical knowhow and parts to get this lovely Austin up and about once again.
Hi Prithvi, and welcome! I wish you the best of luck with this project. If you have technical questions this is a great place to ask them (but I'll let someone else answer about the model type as I don't know tourers well..)
welcome! what great pictures. Please keep us posted on your progress
Thank you Chris! My first technical question. I presume this car is a 'chummy' since it has the small doors and it's a short wheelbase.

India, being a British dominion till 1947, had a lot of Austin 7's which I think were exported to our country. 

My question is, this car has 17 inch wheels whereas the info on the net says it should have 19 inch wheels. 

What would be the correct wheel size for a RHD export Austin tourer (1931-32)?

Regards,

Prithvi
Hi Prithvitagore

That is a remarkable find.  I believe it is an AG tourer from around June 1931.  Although many refer to these cars as Chummys they are technically Tourers. Home models would have had 19” wheels although export models may have had 18” wheels.

From my meagre knowledge the car looks to be very complete.

You can get much more information from the 2022B issue of the Association Magazine (The Grey Mag) where an article by David Martin gives chapter and verse on this model. (Contact Howard Annett at backissues@a7ca.org)

Good luck with the restoration. I don’t think the Indian climate does any favours to steel bodied cars!

Cheers

Howard Wright
Your images do not show on my screen, but from your description yes. it is an AG tourer (chummy). The chassis number dates it to June/July 1931. At that time all Sevens, home market or export, were fitted with 19" wheels.
Yes, the images that were there earlier seem to have disappeared. I hope they can be reinstated, they are quite a marvel...
At a guess I wonder if the forum has thrown a wobbly over the move of the post from 'what have you done today'.
It might be worth deleting them and then adding again as they really do look lovely, only surpassed by the look on the faces of the on lookers who don't seem to know quite what to make of it.
From my time working over there, albeit a few years ago now, the thought of negotiating and weaving around Hindustan Ambassadors and Marutis in an Austin seven would scare me silly.
All power to you Prith
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Whilst I'm not much of a rivet counter I'm with Howard and that looks like me to be an AG rather than an AF. And a very complete one at that.

Needs a bit of work but it will be worth it

Charles
Photo 
Thank you Andy, Charles, Hugh, Mike, Howard & JP!

Thank you for identifying the model down to the month/s of manufacture! I'm glad to know from all of you that this is a fairly complete AG tourer, although a full project, but I've worked on 2 full restorations at home on my other cars recently and I think I can do a good job of this lovely Austin.

Yes, I will order that backorder issue. 

I will of course need a lot of help for parts sources when I embark on the project, including sourcing 19 inch wheels & correct headlamps (Lucas R47?).

I have a feeling the original wheels gave way at some point in the car's life and were replaced with later Ruby 17 inchers. 

Once I have the parts sources, I may have to make a trip down to the UK and see the parts & then buy them as online sources for the Austin 7 do not seem too exact and there are so many variations for different models of the 7. Plus customs duty to India is an absurd 48% on import of car parts.

A few more questions:

Where is the starter switch? Or is it a foot starter since the starter motor is ahead of the gear stick under the dash. 

Is it supposed to have a separate instrument panel lamp or are the gauges backlit?

Is that luggage carrier behind the spare wheel supposed to be there? Was it a period accessory?

What carburetor should the AG have? 

Sorry, but this is my first pre-war car and it's all new to me. 

I have deleted the previous photos and I think I have correctly attached the photos to this post again.

Regards from India,

Prithvi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   IMG_20230911_230258.jpg (Size: 169.82 KB / Downloads: 1,530)