The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Springs - packing plates
Hello All,

Always seems to be plenty advise on rear springs out of the chassis - it varies from don't do it, to get it done because the handling and ride will be so much better.

I now have the first spring off the car - please don't ask. 

I was surprised to find a "packing piece" about 6 inches long below the spring inside the chassis frame. Research shows that this packing piece shoud be A7 Spare Part  BR81 .. The car being a long-wheelbase Box Saloon

My question is does anyone have the correct dimensions for the BR81 (length, Width, thickness). The width should be the same as the spring. The position of the hole in the packing piece, which I assume aligns with the main front bolt of the spring, would be useful.

Of course I would need the measurements if someone has a boxful on a shelf somewhere!!!!    Big Grin

Any help gratefully received.

Old Dave

Mine came with the new springs from 'The Dunfords' so guess they might have some to sell separately.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Old Dave

I think these are of a fibrous material but I’ve never seen these on the three sets of springs I’ve replaced (although I know they exist). I’ve not used them when replacing springs.

Cheers

Howard
I've made them from oak and also from dense plastic sheet.   As long as the material does not compress unduly and doesn't rust, you can't go far wrong.   It's not an item that people are going to look at and say 'it isn't correct!'
What springs are you replacing them with? i.e. old ones or new ones?
Hi Ruairidh, New ones..

Thanks all for your input - I have the one side off at the moment so have no idea what "packing" (if any) is on the other side - we will see I guess.

I don't see how I could manage without a packing piece as it would leave a 5/16" (approx) gap. The piece in my OP pic is definitely steel.

I notice David Cochrane has BR63 and BR81 listed in his index, but both out of stock.

Cheers

Dave
If they were purchased from us, packing will not be necessary.
Hi Ruairidh - Are you saying that Dunford supplied springs are thicker than others?

In the spirit of full disclosure the springs are coming from Jones Springs in Darlaston. They are my nearest supplier. I haven't seen them yet (Monday).

Cheers

Dave
I have never used any packing for any of the springs we have supplied and fitted Dave, it wasn’t necessary.

If you need to use some for the spring you have, it may be possible to buy something suitable, but I am not able to suggest what, sorry.
The original packers were a fibrous sheet material similar to that which fibre washers are made from. You can still purchase it and make replacement's if you so desire and Austin obviously thought they were necessary. I like others here have often fitted springs without them to no obvious detriment.
Black Art Enthusiast