The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Service Tools
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process rebuilding the rear axle on my Nippy. One of the jobs I have just completed is to rivet new brake linings onto the shoes. Unfortunately I didn't have the correct Austin service tool riveting punch. Having said that I managed to make a punch that has done the job well.

The reason I started this thread is that the above got me thinking. How many of the genuine Austin service tools from the 1936 (or earlier) publication are still in use/existence today in peoples workshops and garages? It would be great to see some pictures.

Thanks

Matthew
Here's one you don't see every day - 1A 7187

That’s a cracker, Chris!
(21-01-2024, 04:51 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That’s a cracker, Chris!

I thought so! 

Limited practical usefulness but definitely a keeper.
I have only seen repros.

Useless if the gear set is worn but very interesting, none the less.
Thanks Chris, its great to see. I did wonder in particular if some of the more 'obscure' tools still existed.

I suppose not many mechanics/garages at the time would have been setting up new crown wheel and pinions. So I assume demand would have been lower.

Thanks

Matthew
I'm intrigued!  What does 1A7817 measure when setting up a crown wheel and pinion?
It sits inside the axle tube and is offset. You rotate this offset to match the measurements inscribed on the pinion gear and then shim until it touches the tool. It is only really accurate when the gear set is brand new, from Austin.

It is not suitable for the new types of gear sets sold today
Thank you Ruairidh.  Despite wrestling with the image for some time, my brain could not see a way of using the tool, and now it can!
It's an ingeniously simple thing - but most ingenious things are.