The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Austin Service Tools - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Austin Service Tools (/showthread.php?tid=9139)

Pages: 1 2

Austin Service Tools - MatthewMyerscough - 21-01-2024

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process rebuilding the rear axle on my Nippy. One of the jobs I have just completed is to rivet new brake linings onto the shoes. Unfortunately I didn't have the correct Austin service tool riveting punch. Having said that I managed to make a punch that has done the job well.

The reason I started this thread is that the above got me thinking. How many of the genuine Austin service tools from the 1936 (or earlier) publication are still in use/existence today in peoples workshops and garages? It would be great to see some pictures.

Thanks

Matthew

RE: Austin Service Tools - Chris KC - 21-01-2024

Here's one you don't see every day - 1A 7187

RE: Austin Service Tools - Ruairidh Dunford - 21-01-2024

That’s a cracker, Chris!

RE: Austin Service Tools - Chris KC - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 04:51 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That’s a cracker, Chris!

I thought so! 

Limited practical usefulness but definitely a keeper.

RE: Austin Service Tools - Ruairidh Dunford - 21-01-2024

I have only seen repros.

Useless if the gear set is worn but very interesting, none the less.

RE: Austin Service Tools - MatthewMyerscough - 21-01-2024

Thanks Chris, its great to see. I did wonder in particular if some of the more 'obscure' tools still existed.

I suppose not many mechanics/garages at the time would have been setting up new crown wheel and pinions. So I assume demand would have been lower.

Thanks

Matthew

RE: Austin Service Tools - John3528 - 22-01-2024

I'm intrigued!  What does 1A7817 measure when setting up a crown wheel and pinion?

RE: Austin Service Tools - Ruairidh Dunford - 22-01-2024

It sits inside the axle tube and is offset. You rotate this offset to match the measurements inscribed on the pinion gear and then shim until it touches the tool. It is only really accurate when the gear set is brand new, from Austin.

It is not suitable for the new types of gear sets sold today

RE: Austin Service Tools - John3528 - 22-01-2024

Thank you Ruairidh.  Despite wrestling with the image for some time, my brain could not see a way of using the tool, and now it can!

RE: Austin Service Tools - Ruairidh Dunford - 22-01-2024

It's an ingeniously simple thing - but most ingenious things are.