The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt on the roads.
Just spotted the date on the paper!
I've found a red ulster has appeared on my railway    
I never know how to deal with salt. The general opinion is to wash it off asap, but not sure how to do this. If I wash it in the street, I'm creating an ice rink, but garages' jet wash machines are always turned off when it gets cold.
I'm currently working through an underside oil coating program, that will help protect.
Regards,
Colin
If you're tight, like me and some others on here (no names no pack drill) you can make your own "waxyoil". All you need is a few white candles (6) some white spirit and some engine oil (used if you like it matters not) Stick the candles in the freezer and then when good & hard give them a thorough bashing with a lump hammer. Put all the bits (the smaller the better) in a bucket, removing the wicks. Add a bottle of white spirit, cover and leave to mature under the bench for a few weeks. When the candles have dissolved add a similar amount of engine oil to the mix and you're good to go. If the candles haven't fully dissolved you can (surreptitiously) borrow the kitchen hand blender to help them on their way but don't get caught. I did and I couldn't walk properly for a few days.

Paint it on all the underbody. It will keep out salt & humidity.

Or spend £50 and buy a 5 litre can of proprietory underbody sealant with a similar trade name that will do exactly the same thing.
Years ago, I used my 4 seat tourer on the BA7C Christmas events (Boxing day, New Years day) and put it away without hosing it down underneath. When I looked closely in February, the car was covered underneath with red rust, horrible to see.

Since then, I avoid salted roads (not much chance of those at the moment, at least not here in Wiltshire) and if I do have to venture out on them, I hose or power-wash the whole underneath with water as soon as possible afterwards. It's only 15 minutes or so work and saves a lot of corrosion worries......