The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt on the roads.
More than two weeks ago I drove my seven about fifteen miles mainly on country lanes. The roads had not been salted for at least 5 days so I thought it would be ok. Some roads were damp and there was the odd puddle or two. Hopefully no salt.

I was wrong. After two weeks in a very dry garage with dehumidifier running it seems the salt inside the wheel arches was drawing moisture out of the air. We had 4 small puddles, each about the size of a large coin. These were at the rear bottom corners of each mudguard. These little puddles were easily seen on the freshly painted garage floor ( painted about 4 weeks ago.)  The little puddles tasted of salt! Running a hand inside the mudguard the very thin layer of muddy dust felt decidedly damp.

My point is that we really do need to be careful with salty roads.

It has now all been hosed, wiped with a sponge, and hosed again. 

Maybe I need a new hobby for the long winter months. Austins will be staying inside for the winter.
I recommend model trains.

You'll have a nice variety of feelings, from contented relaxation to tricky challenges, to downright hate or sheer desperation. Just like with the Austin Seven. Big Grin

I love it.
I agree with Hurvinek    
"I agree with Hurvinek"

Ah, ex LNER B1 61310 spent most of its almost 17 year life allocated to Ardsley MPD south of Leeds before withdrawal in 1965. Layout looks to be 'O' gauge?
My rule after salt is to wait until it has rained a fair bit before I use the Seven again - seems to have worked over the years, though this has meant not being able to take it out for at least a couple of weeks on some occasions.

If the roads are dry, but there is salt on them, it seems to get on the car as dust, and then cause corrosion with the moisture in the air or if the car is driven on a damp road later on.

(Very good protection - e.g. lots of modern zinc loaded paint - seems to help up to a point - but the rear ends of my front wings are going again after 20 yrs of winter use, despite this precaution. A bit of summertime remedial action will be required.)
I am with Hurvinek and Dave.
I have a old style Hornby Dublo 3-rail OO gauge set up in my loft, complete with a dozen engines etc., and around twenty scale-sized Seven Ruby models to add to the scenery.
My problem is two fold - time, and the creaking bones climbing the loft ladder!
I'm with Colin, the first sign of salt and our Sevens hibernate. It's Peak Forest in OO gauge, I try to model unusual items which the major suppliers don't do, 61310 is awaiting renumbering to Oliver Bury as used in the 1948 locomotives exchanges. The photo below shows the Westinghouse brake test train of 1968 alongside the well known ICI hopper wagons each of which is made of 200 parts. Spot the RN saloon with our reg number.

If you've never driven your Seven in the snow you're missing out.
I concede I wouldn't generally take mine out on wet & salty roads without a clear reason - though that's probably as much to do with the amount of clothing I'd have to put on as anything else.
A seven in the snow is good fun, bumbling around fresh lanes and back roads where the chances of meeting fast modern cars is extreamly low

.jpg   Pearl Snow.jpg (Size: 52.97 KB / Downloads: 235)
I used to take mine on our local winter rally every year, but even with judicious use of waxoyl and underbody jet washing afterwards the metalworm finally started to win through. I have since had all four wings repainted and don't do the winter thing any more. It's better off kept dry.