The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relocation of the family Chummy…
(23-10-2023, 10:20 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I slept very well at Mark and Gaynor’s home, it is absolutely silent!

For the first twenty years of my life we lived in a terrace house tight up to a busy A road, and slept at the front of the house. At that time this road was the main route from Liverpool to the northeast. As well as all the usual traffic noise there was the noise from a lot of lorries double de clutching down a gear on the moderate uphill. when we went on holiday I couldn't sleep because it was TOO QUIET!
Ah ah

Pontcysyllte.  Difficult to say let alone spell!  More consonants than is good for it. Mind you y is a vowel in Welsh.

Supreme confidence in your vehicle Ruaridh.  Did you check out the recovery costs if you break down in the tunnel?

Cheers

Howard
I did not, paid my £2 and proceeded...
Crossed the aqueduct in a 6 birth canal boat, hired out of Chirk, with two brothers and our wives in 2016. Pete and I piloted the boat across whilst third brother and the 3 wives couldn’t face it and all walked, same again on the return trip.
Quite daunting especially standing with the tiller and absolutely nothing to your left, but stunning views.
Would we do it again……….er
I can quite imagine, Denis.
The final leg of the journey was to be the longest mileage but I was familiar with the roads from here and knew I was heading for home, at some point that day.

A really good breakfast was consumed before I lowered the roof and stowed the side screens and headed on. I stopped briefly at a friend’s in Holme before rejoining the A6.

I made my way through Kendal before heading up and over Shap. A number of my family had text to say that severe weather warnings were in place for parts of my journey with a real risk of flooding in place. As I climbed, so the clouds came down. Visibility was really quite poor and slowed my progress.

I was glad to reach the summit, but not before I had stopped to check wafts of steam coming from the radiator cap. This was caused by the climb and the fact that the wind was coming up behind me, the radiator was not being cooled. I have experienced this before, as I was near the top, I was happy to continue.

From here the road winds down towards Penrith, Carlisle and then on towards Gretna, where I found (to my horror) that it was very easy to (almost) find yourself on the M74! Just south of here, near Longtown, I was photographed by an A7 owning trucker, the photo looks like I am being tracked by a helicopter! I had put the side screens up as I was still getting messages from family to say that incredibly heavy rain was due...

The old A74 is now called the B7076 - this follows almost exactly the same route at the M74 but has almost no traffic on it, at all. It is an absolute delight in a Seven, just be aware that very few Petrol Stations, if any, still operate on this route.

After a few hours of enjoying no traffic, at all, I started to enter the outskirts of Greater Glasgow. Hamilton and Rutherglen were awash with traffic lights and flooded roads. I had to turn back on several occasions to find alternative routes. I still had the side screens in and with no rain, just flooding, I removed them again so as to be bale to see out of the car properly. The centre of Glasgow is busy, but I know the roads well and soon I had navigated the city and was on the homeward stretch. I pulled up, past the cross, off the main road and into our own road.

I, and the car, had made it. 440 miles with no mechanical issues, on 44 litres of petrol and a pint of oil. The hood remained down for the entire journey and the car was happiest between 38-42 miles an hour. My dash cam recorded a highest speed of 46 mph, over the entire journey, the tortoise had, of course, won the race!

I must admit that the three days allowed a lot of wonderful childhood memories of the car to surface and these did result in some emotion, as I pulled up outside our home. Luckily my entire family were out shopping, so none of them witnessed this!

A new chapter, for VF, begins here and I am sure you will all hear about that, very soon.

.jpeg   DD8E796E-8980-4C80-89D8-E9459B1BD8F8.jpeg (Size: 83.36 KB / Downloads: 229)

I always remember the old A74 before it was dualled and then motorwayed. There used to be a bailey bridge somewhere near Gretna Green. Don't know whether it still is but I remember in the days of yore a large proportion of the major roads in that part of Scotland were red, due to the red sandstone used as road and building stone. Quite distinctive.

Welcome tae weegieland, VF
Nicely done Ruairidh. I must 440 miles/pint is impressive.
44 miles per litre is a bit more realistic than 440 miles per pint...I assume that was a typo
440 miles to a pint of oil is quite reasonable on a good engine. The fuel consumption is 10 miles per litre, not 44...(roughly 45mpg)