The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relocation of the family Chummy…
My parents bought their last Austin Seven in 1970, it was to be the one we used the most as a family.

I was brought home from the maternity ward in it, went to school in it, holidayed in it, learned to drive and went on our honeymoon in it.

VF6498 will be known to many of you - a blue 1929 AD Tourer, originally registered in Dereham, Norfolk.

The car cost £500 and this is my father in it just after they bought it.

Over the last couple of years it has been used less and less, recently our parents went to a BA7C event in it.  On returning home our father decided that he no longer wished to drive it around Bristol any more, he found it too busy and not enjoyable.  To stop the car deteriorating the family decided that it would be best to bring the car up to Scotland so that it could be looked after and also so that Ian may find the quieter roads better to cope with, and drive the car again.

Ian was 80 last Monday and I hitched a lift down with my Uncle to surprise him, this worked!  After a few days with them and my sister’s family, I readied the car to drive back to Glasgow.

Here is the above photo recreated last Thursday…

Our parents say goodbye to VF

Then it was my turn to take the car off the drive of 280 Church Road, in the sane way it had arrived 53 years ago but with over 350000 more miles travelled…

I admit to my eyes being a little damp as I pulled off and waved at them in the mirror, soon however, I was on the A38.
Oooo another adventure. Kettle on..... proceed
It must have taken a little while getting both car and camera in the exact same position. Great story, and great pictures. I hope your dad gets to drive it again very soon.
Good lord, misty eyes first thing on a Thursday morning!
I did the same thing with my Ruby when my sight started to let me down and I could no longer drive. I kept it in the garage for a while not wanting to give it up and did small jobs on it until one day after having a rear hub off on reassembly I realised that I could not see if I had knocked the hub retaining nut lock washer down onto the flat of the nut correctly. I arranged for my son to come over and finish the job and to take the car to his place where it would get to be used properly. Although I had a lump in my throat as it was driven away I saw my son with a smile from ear to ear on his face as he and the car disappeared around the corner and away.(mixed feelings) o My son only lives 22 miles away so I still get to ride in it as a passenger.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Driving from Bristol to Glasgow in Chummy on your own will provide plenty of singing practice!
It's an inescapable fact of life that if we are lucky, we grow old and infirm. I suspect most of us on here are in that category and long may it continue. I must admit that my long run to Santiago and back in 2019 was probably the furthest I will ever go now in the RP, and I limit my sojourns to a run around the block of about 25 miles. It's enough.

Sad to see Ian part company with a car he's had for over 50 years but like others it is going to somewhere where it will be cherished, used and properly looked after. It will still be going when most of us aren't.

Carpé Diem!
Hi Ruairidh 

Good luck with the journey. I’m sure we’ll learn, soon enough, your route and overnight stops.

Last time we drove along the A38 between Gloucester and Bristol there was a gale blowing straight up the Severn estuary. It was all I could do to keep the little Special on the road.  At least you will have had any wind behind you!

Cheers

Howard
Give it a few years and you could add to the family album and recreate that with one of the girls, although hopefully without the family trait of quite so much facial insulation Smile
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Bruce, is that Fratin?