The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Greetings! New owner from India
Hi everyone,

This item just came up on ebay saying it's a front seat mounting bracket. Have a look at the photo. Is it required for my car?

In other news, Chris has now restored and included a correct PA speedo for my car! Have a look.

On Saturday, I took all the required engine parts that came in from the UK to the machine shop for their work. I laid them all out and took a photo.

Early in the morning today, India time, I won an auction on eBay UK for a 22 FZB carb, which at least visually seems to be in decent condition. This piece will hopefully go on to my car if all goes well.

.jpg   fzb6.jpg (Size: 68.48 KB / Downloads: 479)
.jpg   fzb4.jpg (Size: 79.69 KB / Downloads: 476)    
.jpg   fzb3.jpg (Size: 78.92 KB / Downloads: 477)    

Regards,

Prithvi
Hello Prithvi. It does look to be a good one - but these are fragile things. Dave Mann has rebuilt several badly damaged ones and is the leading expert on the type  - he uses an example on his daily-use RN. You might like to contact him for a chat. His email address is in the usual publications and can be looked up - but I'll send you a PM with it anyway.
Thanks Tony!

Got your pm, will give a called to Dave.

Regards,

Prithvi
That carburetor appears to be in good condition most of the ones I get require some serious repair like this        
Where can I get a fender mounted spare petrol can like the one in the photo? 

Originals are very hard to find but our expert metal folder, shaper, basher Duncan Grimmond offers these splendid units - and might be able to build you a "rectangular" version: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...#pid100583
(16-04-2024, 10:36 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Originals are very hard to find but our expert metal folder, shaper, basher Duncan Grimmond offers these splendid units - and might be able to build you a "rectangular" version: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...#pid100583

Thank you Tony!

On another note, I was walking around the body tub a few days back and noticed a lift the dot type fastener stud on the nearside in an odd location, right under the windscreen post. I went over to the other side and there were remnants of a broken stud. I tried figuring out what it was for but then I forgot about it.

Yesterday, the mystery stud popped back into my head.

Being a novice to A7's, I read through as many threads as I can on this forum on a daily basis and started searching for an answer for the odd location of this stud. It made no sense to have it there, then again, I am reasonably sure that it was at that place originally and wasn't a later fitment because these things are not readily available in India.

And then, after a bit of searching, I found the answer I was looking for!

I found at least 2 ref pics of A7's that had the stud in a similar place, and showed the purpose. The stud's for retaining strap for the side screen! I have noted in photos of other A7 tourers that this stud is usually on the door itself, so why the different locations on A7's I have no idea. 

It seems so obvious now, but to someone like me who has never seen a nice A7 closely, it was another part of the larger puzzle.

2 pics of the stud on my car and 1 ref pic follows.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   stud3.jpg (Size: 92.89 KB / Downloads: 109)
One often finds lift-the-dot studs all over the place - put there by an owner to fasten down a tonneau cover. There is also a rather clever fastening on the hood frame which, when resting on the rubber block at each side of the rear of the body, needs strapping down. To do this, a leather strap was riveted to the frame and the end fitted with a lift-the-dot that engaged on a stud that was also used to bolt the rubber block in place. Even with this strap in place. the hood frame often needs a second nearer the front.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Original strap.JPG (Size: 212.1 KB / Downloads: 84)
.jpg   Original Bracket with rubber 1.JPG (Size: 317.76 KB / Downloads: 83)
.jpg   Rubber with Lift-the-Dot.JPG (Size: 361.07 KB / Downloads: 83)
Prithvi's 22FZB arrived yesterday and after flattening the joint face, setting the fuel level after replacing the bob weights as one was broken and seating the needle valve it is now fitted to one of our cars for a test run where it went well. The choke flap needs attention as it is a homemade replacement which is inoperable like most I find. This carburetor has seen little use as the hole in the throttle lever is unworn unlike most I get which require re-sleeving.