The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moseley Float on Air
(18-08-2023, 09:25 PM)Frank Stoll Wrote: Hello,
I have got one of my RP. First I could hardly figure out what it was... Weird thing... Damaged in some parts...
I am potentially interested in a reproduction, if the price is reasonable.
Regards
Frank

You've probably clocked this already Frank, but the other day Mike Costigan reminded me that the outer tube is inflated separately at a slightly higher pressure than the inside. This gives support in the right places and a most comfortable seat.
(18-08-2023, 10:33 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: It would be helpful to have pictures (with rulers) of as many versions as possible; then we have the data saved. I've already put up ones of a Ruby's back seat - here are ones of a front. I can't imagne that there would be any difference between one for an RP and a Ruby - but one never knows.

Tony I'm up with the birdies this morning but will compare measurements to my RP cushions as soon as the sun comes up.

Meanwhile a couple of observations about their construction which may be of interest:
1. The inner and outer tubes are the same size, flattened out they measure a tad over 3.5" across, which by my schoolboy arithmetic implies a basic diameter of 2.25" (obviously this would increase with pressure).
2. They appear to have been made from continuous tube and cut to length; the ends are simply folded back upon themselves to close, presumably with a coating of adhesive. (1st pic)
3. Likewise there are lapped joins in some of the tubes, suggesting that offcuts were simply joined together rather than binned. Again they appear to have been glued, with a fairly generous overlap. This could only have been done on a mandrel of some sort. (2nd pic)
4. Where the tubing has been folded into a "U" shape, the folds also appear to have been glued in place. I guess it's possible the rubber has simply fused together with age, but they seem fairly firmly stuck.
5. The outer tube has a reinforcing/ stiffening band around its periphery on the inside. (3rd pic)

<update> I concur, RP cushion is same as Ruby i.e. (round figures) about 15" x 17".

Chris KC,

I may give the owner of NEMO a call. I had interviewed him about ten years ago about his Air Beam tents which I tested and reviewed. They have mostly gone to aluminium poles, but began their line with the inflatables. I also have seen that Halfords makes some tents with the air beam technology. As you say the inflation system is compact and works well. My first use for my test came one late night on a canoe trip in Canada. The cabin turned out to be crawling with pack rats, well just one noisy one, so I bailed and in the dark, only having read the instructions before I started the trip, I very quickly was able to get the tent set up. The tubes are a similar diameter to the Moseley ones, as well as appearing to be a similar material.

Erich in Mukilteo

As you say Tony, the outer tube, the U shaped one, is inflated harder than the inner one. This gives good support for the sides and front, and the inner one, being inflated less, allows your bum to sink in a bit. What I have not seen discussed here as yet, is what major advantages the design offers. First off, foam, for instance, even closed cel foam, will tend to compress over time.  On a long journey, this can be an issue. Then there is adjustability. The air tubes are infinitely adjustable. With foam, you have to play around with foams of different stiffness. This is how modern car seats are made. A one size fits all approach. Even my Norton Commando seat was made with several different types of foam to achieve comfort. But with the Moseley type, you can adjust the pressure to suit you. The company I'm working with wants to reinforce the tubes, which is in their line of experience. But I believe that flexible walls, such as on the originals, works even better for comfort. Right now we are working on the material end, as well as the valve part. Bryan Purves used Schrader valves, which function well. Moseley used a simple valve with a plug, which was fine for the period, but I think can be improved upon. In my whitewater canoes, we used float bags which have a simple plastic mouth inflated valve, which can easily be evacuated. NEMO type tent valves may also offer an alternative.

Erich in Mukilteo
I would suggest a mouth-inflated valve would work best - the cushions need surprising little pressure to provide the necessary support.
I agree Mike. Bryan had changed to Schrader type valves because he said there was some health regulation issue in the UK regarding supplying with mouth inflated valves. The air bag valves I have on my white water canoes are quite simple. And of course require no special pump to inflate or evacuate.

Erich in Mukilteo
(20-08-2023, 09:17 PM)Erich Wrote: I agree Mike. Bryan had changed to Schrader type valves because he said there was some health regulation issue in the UK regarding supplying with mouth inflated valves. The air bag valves I have on my white water canoes are quite simple. And of course require no special pump to inflate or evacuate.

Erich in Mukilteo

It would perhaps be prudent to investigate that, but I think it shouldn't be a problem. I have a small supplementary air-cushion for the small of my back which has a simple mouth-inflated valve which was  supplied by my doctor through the NHS.

.jpg   Valve.jpg (Size: 54.79 KB / Downloads: 95) Mike, this is the type that I have on my whitewater canoe float bags. They work well, sealing even under pressure on a hot day.