The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moseley Float on Air
Enclosed a couple of photos of an original Moseley Float on Air cushion. Discovered in the seat of a Type 75.
I believe a photo of one was published some time back but as they are so unusual and rare it's worth posting another for all to see.        
Hi All,

I'm working with a firm to duplicate this Float on Air and Chris has sent it to them. My goal is to develop as close a reproduction as possible for reasonable cost. Others have tried using inner tubes with little structure(the tubes need to be restrained by strapping), which aren't as effective. Please let Chris or me know if you would be interested in a set for a Seven.

Erich in Mukilteo
I gave up, looking for an intact one years ago and found Decathalon supplied a reasonable alternative     then I was given two knackered front seat squabs and found in one of them a good Moseley float on air unit.    
These were made, up until quite recently, by a hovercraft manufacturer on the south coast.

I have two sets in my own cars, they are considerably more durable than the originals.
(01-08-2023, 09:58 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Enclosed a couple of photos of an original Moseley Float on Air cushion. Discovered in the seat of a Type 75.
I believe a photo of one was published some time back but as they are so unusual and rare it's worth posting another for all to see.

Chris - I'd be interested in pairs to fit front seats and for the back seat squab of a Ruby (though that is an even more complicated affair).
Could I suggest that the valve should not be a simple plug and tube affair? I have been using ones supplied by Bryan Purves (IIRC) and these have been very good until the plug is now no longer airtight. I’m looking at a modification using a repair patch made from the valve and some surrounding rubber from a bicycle inner tube..
Thank you, Tony and Hugh both.
Interest noted Tony.
Potential design mod noted Hugh.
If you use a bicycle type valve be careful where you place it - being less flexible than the original they can make an uncomfortable bump in the cushion. I speak from experience!
Hi All, Though there have been alternatives suggested and made over the years, the original Moseley as evidenced by Chris' photo of one from my Type 75, is multifold. While the tube and plug system the Moseleys had was a bit primitive, they were flexible as the Schrader valves are not, as was noted, with the potential to have hard points. These hard points can be uncomfortable but also have the potential for wear spots. As a whitewater paddler(Open Canadian canoes) I'm familiar with the float bags we use in our boats. These are both mouth or pump inflated, flexible and durable. So no hard spots or wear points.

The Purves ones were quite good and matched in form the Moseleys quite well. The material is less flexible than a simple rubber inner tube, which is important.

Further, the originals though a simple idea, were far more than a simple stadium cushion. The outer could be inflated hard, while the inner much softer creating a bucket seat with support on the sides and front. That's why Moseley used the U shaped outer tube and complete serpentine inner tube. Further, it is important to keep them located and that is where the binding straps come in.

Tony, I'm assuming for your Ruby rear, you would want what I have seen of double Moseleys, a tube forms a U on the front and sides of the seat bottom, with two complete serpentine sections in the centre. Is that correct.

I'm encouraged that there is interest here, as I've also had interest from folks in the Frazer Nash fraternity. I've always thought that Moseleys and the other firn which produced inflatable cushions, were a great concept and with modern technology could be made even more durable. I have a tent made by a company named NEMO which uses inflatable tubes to keep it erected and I may contact the maker to learn more about his suppliers. He had worked with NASA on some of his designs so there may be a good source of durable tubes there.

Erich in Mukilteo
I'd be interested in some sets of Moseley float on air's for several cars!
My late dads Box saloon had them when he bought it 55 years ago and they really did do the job and very comfortable. Unfortunately age took its toll and we had to scrap them many years ago. 
I do recall that they needed frequent reflation as the inflation bung was pretty leaky so an improved design in that area would be great.
I'll keep a watch on this thread!