The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Austin Seven Book
Ah! Well that explains why I thought it would be a much larger book, based on the blurb.
Gratefully received a copy of “The Complete Catalogue of the Austin Seven” under the Christmas tree, haven’t had time to read it as yet but scanning through, it is no doubt a beautifully produced book with many fine photographs and numerous models listed.
I am not knowledgeable enough to comment as to whether or not it is a “Complete Catalogue” of all Austin Sevens, but what immediately strikes me is that there is no mention of the Big Seven, which I think is sad.
No mention of the Big Seven! And rightly so, it's not an Austin Seven, or is it? At one time opinion seemed to be that the Ruby was not a proper Seven. Then what about the Austin A30 Seven? Do we include that as well? And early Austin Minis were badged as the Austin Mini Seven. Where should we draw the line?

I would include a quick mention with photo of both the A30 and the early Mini. Put everything into perspective.
The Complete Catalogue of the Austin Seven. A very worthwhile book that presents, in a fresh, easily digestible, and well-illustrated form almost everything an Austin Seven enthusiast, especially one new to the hobby, would ever want to know. The section on special bodies is very interesting and, for the first time, draws together information previously scattered across several publications.
As a quick reference to models and their associated body codes it's spot on - and only those of us mad enough to have combed through catalogues and parts lists, and read everything we can get hold of on the Seven might argue among ourselves that some descriptions rather too condensed. Would some extra, detailed information have been appropriate? - it's a moot point. On balance, the author and his advisors have it spot on and I'd recommend this book as an essential addition to one's Austin Seven's motoring bookshelf.
I bought 'The Complete Catalogue of the Austin Seven' a few days before Christmas -- just waiting for delivery now. It seems from the reviews to be an excellent reference.
Cheers, Geoffrey
The full title tells us the catalogue covers the years 1922 to 1939. I shall be reading my copy soon. It's a good companion text to the Rinsey Mills offering.
……. “All Austin Seven variants from around the world, 1922-1939” ……excluding the Big Seven.
Surely the Big Seven is a variant, after all it was named by the Austin company, assuming Sir Herbert himself, Big Seven, not Small Ten or anything else.
So why is the Twincam mentioned in most 7 books. Hardly a 7 part on it.
20+ years ago, when I bought my Ruby, I quickly was made aware that some people did not consider it to be a 'proper' Austin Seven. Frankly, my dears, I didn't give a damn...
Fast forward to today, literally. I have been helping a pal with his recently acquired Big Seven, and, having spent quite a bit of the morning examining its nether regions, I am in no doubt it completely deserves to be included in any record of the pre-war Austin Seven. 

There are many on this forum that have far more experience of Sevens than me so I am very willing to receive wisdom and criticism if I say that the Ruby (of course!) and the Big Seven are undoubtedly proper Sevens - and a postwar 'Seven' isn't. [Dons tin hat and ducks below parapet]
(28-12-2023, 05:17 PM)Peter Sweeney Wrote: So why is the Twincam mentioned in most 7 books. Hardly a 7 part on it.

Very good point. Maybe because it lends the pedestrian Austin 7 some exotic credibility if the Twincam is mentioned in the same sentence?
Cheers, Geoffrey