The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1929 Austin Seven Gordon England Stadium up for sale
(18-07-2023, 08:53 PM)Henry Harris Wrote:
(18-07-2023, 08:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote: A bit like the fabric saloon that turned up inPortugal some while ago. It requires conserving rather than restoration.

Restoration is conservation, conservation is restoration. 

Vinyl upholstery fabric, 2K paint, powder coating, flashing indicators, unified and metric fasteners, modern electrics, etc. are neither.

Dear Henry,  I assume your posting was an effective attempt to throw the cat among the pidgeons.
Restoration and conservation are not interchangeable, although the one will always contain an element of the other.
But a serious point — flashing indicators are a must have for anyone driving regularly on todays roads and regular use is the best way to conserve your car as you will need to keep it roadworthy.
And use LEDs, hiding them as far as pos. in the original light fittings.

(18-07-2023, 08:53 PM)Henry Harris Wrote:
(18-07-2023, 08:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote: A bit like the fabric saloon that turned up inPortugal some while ago. It requires conserving rather than restoration.

Restoration is conservation, conservation is restoration. 

Vinyl upholstery fabric, 2K paint, powder coating, flashing indicators, unified and metric fasteners, modern electrics, etc. are neither.

Dear Henry,  I assume your posting was an effective attempt to throw the cat among the pidgeons.
Restoration and conservation are not interchangeable, although the one will always contain an element of the other.
But a serious point — flashing indicators are a must have for anyone driving regularly on todays roads and regular use is the best way to conserve your car as you will need to keep it roadworthy.
And use LEDs, hiding them as far as pos. in the original light fittings.
Charles, why do we have to use flashing indicators and LEDs? Cars are used regularly on the road all year round and are still here, (as are the drivers).

These as Henry says are neither restoration or conservation, more "resto-mod" as seems to be the rage these days. Nothing wrong with it, but for some cars as with the GE putting flashing indicators and LEDs on it would not be a good move.
Charles you appear to have completely missed the point Henry made and seem fail to understand what restoration and conservation are. I find your comment about putting the cat among the pigeons rather disrespectful and unnecessary
Black Art Enthusiast
A few random points on flashing indicators: waiting to turn right off a main road in rain or dismal conditions, I love the fact that drivers behind can tell what I intend to do. An arm sticking out of the window does not pass muster these days - even if painted white and reflective (and getting the white and reflective paint off with paint stripper is not recommended).
It is indeed possible to hide indicators in reflectors and side lights - and Ruairidh Dunford does an excellent set, one that we have fitted to our Ruby. This is an almost completely invisible installation - only the sidelights give the game away if you know what to look for. On my other cars I use the common miniature "Ribberlights" set supplied by various sellers; these, of course, can be taken off of with no evidence they were ever fitted. One car refused to work with LEDs - despite trying every known trick in the book - so, for maximum brightness, I use 21W standard bulbs powered by a 12-volt motorcycle. The other car, goodness knows why, has no problems and runs 6-volt LEDs perfectly and these - if my 58-year-old Western Master V is a guide - are equal as bright as the 12-volt job. A clever part-solution, used by a well-known expert who drives his Box saloons almost daily, is a lighting board strapped across the spare wheel. This uses a trailer plug to connect to the car's electrical system and the whole thing can be detached in a few seconds. I suppose that a similar if more compact unit could be constructed for the front - and then you could drive your preserved car to an event, whip the units off, and be back to original.
(19-07-2023, 01:29 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Both my cars are BF registrations.

The 1930 RK was imported from Sweden in 2015 and given BF7502, and the 1929 special was built from a chassis that, according to the heritage certificate was an export tourer. VSCC events show numerous cars with BF numbers.

Glad I got in before the WC range of numbers. Being a ‘bl**dy fool is better than driving a toilet!

Cheers

Howard

The registration plate GE1 is available for a modest £261,000. Or, for a 2-letter, 4-digit numbers for £1895, you could have the very suitable PL3375. For about £1000 several UX prefixes are available including UZ2304 is available. All are open to offers, of course....
    Here's the photo again. This evolved after an incident on the A6 in Stockport stopped at a Pelican crossing at night with the pedestrian in front of me when she froze, one look in my mirror revealed an HGV bearing down on us. It came to rest alongside me nose to nose with the car facing me with no damage apart from the HGV driver's ego. My car had extra rear lights including stop and indicators mounted by the rear number plate and my foot was on the brake otherwise I'd have rolled into the pedestrian. This made me realize that Seven rear lights are woefully low at 12" above the road and HGV driver's eyes are 12' above the road, something had to be done. In that situation I had no where to go and I checked afterwards all my lights worked. I'd had a few incidents of minor rear end bumps which broke the additional rear light lens when stopped the light board put an end to these bumps. Yes it doesn't win prizes for looks but as Tony says it can be removed in seconds leaving my car as built.
No problem with people doing this but the only times I have been rear ended has been in modern cars, (3 times in 30 years). All three occasions the person driving into me obviously just didn't see me at all. One in daylight, two at night.

I'm not 100% convinced that modern lights make as much difference as we all hope. The problem is poor driving standards.
David Wortley had fitted my Chummy with a rear stop/fog light (strapped, neatly to the spare wheel) that's pretty bright. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to make it larger?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Like Dave, I have had one or two hairy incidents where following traffic simply hasn't seen my indication. Twice I have nearly been taken out by cars travelling too quickly who have failed to see my right hand indicator and have over taken me on the right as I was about to turn. On both occasions, it was because the car behind was too close to see the lights. Fortunately I am in the habit of checking the rear view mirrors before executing any maneuver.
(20-07-2023, 09:18 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Here's the photo again. This evolved after an incident on the A6 in Stockport stopped at a Pelican crossing at night with the pedestrian in front of me when she froze, one look in my mirror revealed an HGV bearing down on us. It came to rest alongside me nose to nose with the car facing me with no damage apart from the HGV driver's ego. My car had extra rear lights including stop and indicators mounted by the rear number plate and my foot was on the brake otherwise I'd have rolled into the pedestrian. This made me realize that Seven rear lights are woefully low at 12" above the road and HGV driver's eyes are 12' above the road, something had to be done. In that situation I had no where to go and I checked afterwards all my lights worked. I'd had a few incidents of minor rear end bumps which broke the additional rear light lens when stopped the light board put an end to these bumps. Yes it doesn't win prizes for looks but as Tony says it can be removed in seconds leaving my car as built.

Dave, I've done you a special for motorway driving.
I once set a chap off to collect some stuff for me in my then grot-box, a fragile Citroen AX. Ten minutes later he was back, accompanied by the chap who'd run into him. The back of the Citroen was damaged, but nothing like the crumpled mess of the Corsa with its bonnet folded in two and the lights all smashed. "How on earth did you do all that damage to your Corsa?" I asked. "Oh," replied the driver, "that was from the last time I ran into somebody."

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)