The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1929 Austin Seven Gordon England Stadium up for sale
(18-07-2023, 08:53 PM)Henry Harris Wrote:
(18-07-2023, 08:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote: A bit like the fabric saloon that turned up inPortugal some while ago. It requires conserving rather than restoration.

Restoration is conservation, conservation is restoration. 

Vinyl upholstery fabric, 2K paint, powder coating, flashing indicators, unified and metric fasteners, modern electrics, etc. are neither.

Whilst i agree with the general tenor of Henry's remark, I think that there is a great deal of difference between conservation and restoration: Restoration suggests returning the car back to its 'as new' state. Conservation suggests preserving the car in it's 'as found' state. and making good only that which is essential for it's maintenance and good order.
What a glorious little car. I spy a couple of details besides the wonderful Tecalemit oiler system. both discussed here from time to time. Black painted Inlet manifold and Carb. Plus a red fan. This is an unrestored car in very original condition. I seem to recall other cars discovered in similar condition that certainly had the black painted manifold cant be quite so sure about the red fan without trolling back through my archive. I am completely in agreement with Henry, and on this car I personally if feel restoration needs to be very subtle and only where absolutely necessary to slow further deterioration.
Black Art Enthusiast
Just to put the record straight the car was purchased by myself and Erich - he from Seattle! - last year. We recognised that this type of car would not be appreciated in the States so took the decision to repatriate it where it would be better appreciated. From your comments this is certainly the case!
The car is most likely unique as the most original Stadium known. It is complete apart from the hood and side screens, but patterns exist. Charles has highlighted the Tecalemit chassis lubrication system; this is perhaps the most interesting feature of the car and was only fitted to two Gordon England models. We believe it is the only complete system fitted to a Seven that exists. The car runs and stops, the engine and running gear is original to the car and it is very roomy and driveable. It is unfortunate that the Stadium was the last model produced and that the demise of the company put paid to it. In our view it is a much nicer car than the Cup model, roomier with good luggage space. Sorry Cup owners.
You may ask why we are selling it. Well, we have too much on, too many cars and myself in particular, getting on in years.
What the next owner does with it is for them to decide. We have our views but we know it will be preserved for people to admire which is the most important thing.

...oh, and by the way, I know you all want it, so would you all ensure you have your cheque book, credit card, bank draft or cash with you on auction day!
Just to add to what has already been said about the car, I'll chime in on a few things. As far as its history, there was some speculation initially from the fellow who found it, that it may have served as a recovery vehicle. This was assumed because of the AAA decals on the doors. However, this, I think, is highly unlikely as it is so small. There was also a story that the people who had it, were wealthy and had brought it from the UK as a toy to drive on their estate and finally gave it to the fellow who owned the filling station. That seems a bit unlikely as well. The car shows no signs of ever having been registered in the UK, nor in the US. Our license plates are considerably different and there is no indication that one was bolted on to the rear plate of the car. There are holes on the front plate of the car which may indicate a plate was affixed there. But with US license plates, it is the rear that is most important and a front plate was not required in period. I run only a rear license plate on my Ulster Rep here in Washington. We do know that Gordon England exhibited cars in the US, including the car that became the MacLachlan Special. So I would posit that the Stadium likely was imported as an exhibit at an auto show, possibly the New York Auto Show. That might explain the AAA badges. We know that American Austins and Bantams appeared in Hollywood movies and so there was a certain fascination with these diminutive cars as compared to even the standard Ford Model A's, let alone Cadillacs and Packards and the like. It is certainly a rare car and its overall condition indicates that it was probably relegated to the shed with very few miles on it. Its more recent history is that a fellow was tearing down the shed(and I think the filling station) and found the car in about 2010. Through several people, Murray Smith was contacted, who some may know and who has raced for many years, starting with an Austin Seven Ulster in the late 50's-early 60's in the UK, before moving to the US.

A truly lovely little car.

Erich in Seattle
Myreton Motor Museum displayed a very original Swallow Saloon with a Tecalemit lubrication system fitted.
(18-07-2023, 11:07 PM)Erich Wrote: Just to add to what has already been said about the car, I'll chime in on a few things. As far as its history, there was some speculation initially from the fellow who found it, that it may have served as a recovery vehicle. This was assumed because of the AAA decals on the doors. However, this, I think, is highly unlikely as it is so small. There was also a story that the people who had it, were wealthy and had brought it from the UK as a toy to drive on their estate and finally gave it to the fellow who owned the filling station. That seems a bit unlikely as well. The car shows no signs of ever having been registered in the UK, nor in the US. Our license plates are considerably different and there is no indication that one was bolted on to the front or rear plates of the car. We do know that Gordon England exhibited cars in the US, including the car that became the MacLachlan Special. So I would posit that the Stadium likely was imported as an exhibit at an auto show, possibly the New York Auto Show. That might explain the AAA badges. We know that American Austins and Bantams appeared in Hollywood movies and so there was a certain fascination with these diminutive cars as compared to even the standard Ford Model A's, let alone Cadillacs and Packards and the like. It is certainly a rare car and its overall condition indicates that it was probably relegated to the shed with very few miles on it. Its more recent history is that a fellow was tearing down the shed(and I think the filling station) and found the car in about 2010. He then contacted Murray Smith, who some may know and who has raced for many years, starting with an Austin Seven Ulster in the late 50's-early 60's in the UK, before moving to the US.

A truly lovely little car.

Erich in Seattle

With regard to the registration, the numberplate it now carries is "BF 9987" a birmingham issue 

According to the DVLA it was first registered in Novermber 2022 with a year of manufacture 1929 

Current "Age related" plate issue from the dvla is  "#XS ####"

I have been issued in the last 12 months "MXS ###" and more recently "TXS ####"

So it is reasonable to assume that the "BF" number has been taken from another car, and i think if it was mine, i would have done similar, and the #XS doesnt suit cars of this era 

If i had the money, i would be bidding
The BF registration is from the latest DVLA 'age-related' issue of previously unused numbers. The two-letter/four-number format is issued exclusively to pre-1931 vehicles; the three-letter #XS series is being issued to post-1930 vehicles. If 9987 was issued in November, it seems likely that DVLA are now using another sequence of numbers for their pre-1931 re-registrations.
Mike is correct. BF is an age related number and these were all used up last November. The new pre 1931 age related prefix is WC**** starting at WC 1001. DVLA never re-issue a number that has previously been used.

Steve
Hi All

Both my cars are BF registrations.

The 1930 RK was imported from Sweden in 2015 and given BF7502, and the 1929 special was built from a chassis that, according to the heritage certificate was an export tourer. VSCC events show numerous cars with BF numbers.

Glad I got in before the WC range of numbers. Being a ‘bl**dy fool is better than driving a toilet!

Cheers

Howard
I stand correted, that is good to know tho, as iam not a fan of my recent TXS issue, however the next one to get done is pre 31 - so i can live with a BF or at least a two letter anyway