The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Door Card
I am in the process of fitting the door cards to my 1933 RP.
The problem I have is that I am having difficulty in shaping the card around the window winder mechanism. I am using 3 mm ply as a starting point but the height of the pressing above the door frame is about 10/12mm. Pulling the ply down this amount is causing a problem.
I have cut out the shape for the metal winder cover and fitted it in place.
How do I pull down this part of the ply to be flush with the door frame?
I enclose photos of a mock up of what I need to achieve.

Thanks Roger

From memory they do bulge in this area - quite a bit.

Ivor's RP pages show quite a few bulging examples!!

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ivor383/aust...p-saloons/
(27-02-2018, 09:50 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: From memory they do bulge in this area - quite a bit.

Ivor's RP pages show quite a few bulging examples!!

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ivor383/aust...p-saloons/

Thanks for your reply, as you say it is inevitable there is a bulge at that point.
Is there an alternative to ply and what thickness do you suggest?

Roger
No, you should use 3mm ply. The best to use is 'Birch faced' and should have the flexibility you need to accomodate the pressed cover. The door cards are not flat as Ruairidh has suggested...

Don't stint on the ply, the correct material is a little pricey but absolutely worth the money. The last sheet I bought I could roll up and put in the back of my car. It is that flexibilty you need in my opinion...

hth....
(28-02-2018, 10:15 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: No, you should use 3mm ply. The best to use is 'Birch faced' and should have the flexibility you need to accomodate the pressed cover. The door cards are not flat as Ruairidh has suggested...

Don't stint on the ply, the correct material is a little pricey but absolutely worth the money. The last sheet I bought I could roll up and put in the back of my car. It is that flexibilty you need in my opinion...

hth....

or.... you could use a sheet of waterproof thermosetting plastic and crease the edges.  Those of us who have alternators, electronic ignition, full flow oil filters, LED lights , 2 pak paint, staples, foam, etc, etc
 should have no problem with that invisible upgrade.
ducks down behind the parapet Blush 

good morning Hugh
Morning Squeak!
My door cards are made out of plywood and the only bulge is the one created by the metal cover plate over the winding handle. Standard Saloon:

[Image: WP_20170927_13_41_58_Pro.jpg]
My Stanard Saloon has the metal cover plate on the outside of the cover panel. When I obtained in 1970 it still had the original cover panels so it should be correct.
(28-02-2018, 05:42 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: My Stanard Saloon has the metal cover plate on the outside of the cover panel. When I obtained in 1970 it still had the original cover panels so it should be correct.

I wondered why I couldn't understand the problem. My Dad's 1931 (he bought it in 1957) saloon had the untouched moquette upholstery with the cover plates rivetted on the cabin side of the panel as Bill describes. When we eventually reupholstered it I remember re rivetting the cover plates back onto the plywood door "card". No clue if the RP would be the same but it would seem likely that it was. Seems like a better idea to me. Am I misunderstanding the arrangement in the RP?

Regards,
Stuart
No, 'fraid not, RP should have the cover plate behind the leather covering... I think there is plenty of photgraphic evidence to support that if you have a look around...

cheers...