The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atmospheric A7 Photographs
(29-05-2023, 06:13 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I cannot believe they will ever come up with an AI machine that will replace a man with the right hammer and a good eye!
I won't repeat the old saw of the plumber, the hammer and the bill for £100.00...

When a robot can play for Manchester United - then I'll be worried.
I would like to be positive about the future.

If well controlled this could be a game changer but I have read that obviously AI is only as good as the information it gobbles up and is not necessarily correct in all the answers given.

Look at the disaster of social media, all developed they say to improve people's lives. When money became more important than controlling Twitter etcetera the results are there to see. 

I will get off my soapbox.  Tongue

Back to Austin 7s.
"I cannot believe they will ever come up with an AI machine that will replace a man with the right hammer and a good eye!"

Yes but they said that about skilled machine workers, then CNC came along and now they just need a programmer for a whole factory and one man to watch a row of machines.
They also said that robots would herald a revolution delivering early retirement for all and a life of leisure...hmmm

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Eventually every factory will be controlled by three things:

A man
A dog
A computer.

The man is there to feed the dog, and the dog is there to keep the man off the computer.
Andy Bennet said:
Yes but they said that about skilled machine workers, then CNC came along and now they just need a programmer for a whole factory and one man to watch a row of machines.

(Un)fortunately a computer cannot asses where and how hard to hit with which hammer in one-off situations...yet
I'd like to meet the computer that could crawl under the NS wing of my Chummy and work out how thick the aluminium distance pieces need to be to take up the hugely non-original gap between the support strut and wing. And then make them on a lathe, fit them and whilst at it, make the brackets to hold a set of indicators, fit them and wire it all up. For amusement, look up "Von Neumann machine" and ponder, could it ever work?
Duncan: (Un)fortunately a computer cannot asses where and how hard to hit with which hammer in one-off situations...yet

Agree and thankfully there is some appreciation of practical crafts (see Repair Shop) and the environmental benefits of repairing things rather than throwing them away. However, that isn't going to keep the country gainfully employed. It is genuinely scary just how quickly AI, ChatGPT etc etc is offering to do what we enjoy doing, or don't enjoy doing, so that we can instead sit around and 'marvel' at how much easier it is to press a button rather than learn something tricky (physically or mentally).

Not so daft to think of a future where driving an Austin 7 is not banned for environmental reasons (acceptable new fuels etc), rather banned because it requires a human to control it and we are considered not as safe as self-driven cars.

Sometimes Hollywood is ahead of reality. Star Trek had I-Pads in the 1960s, the Matrix might just be next.

As my strap line says...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!