The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The different door handles on different models
Thanks for the photos and the information. Hope that more details will be added.
One question: Where were rules and regulations like the one for keeping your car unlocked published?
Kind regards
Frank
Frank StollThanks for the photos and the information. Hope that more details will be added.
One question: Where were rules and regulations like the one for keeping your car unlocked published?
Kind regards
Frank
Frank, so far I've found this. I wonder if it contains any amendments e.g. allowing the locking of car doors? 
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/193...050_en.pdf
I recall from my days as a trainee lawyer, now over 40 years ago, that the question of being forbidden to lock one's car on the King's Highway was one of those curious anomalies that stick in the mind of a student. I now cannot for the life of me remember the details of the legislation, however.

The relevant acts concerning motor cars are:-

The Locomotives on Highways Act 1896
The Motor Car Act 1903
The Roads Act 1920,
The Road Traffic Act 1930.
The Road Traffic Act 1934

I am going to have to do some research.
Slightly off the subject of door handles, but this is an interesting summary of the UK's road system: https://tringlocalhistory.org.uk/Tring/c...r%2003.htm
Hello David, 
Thanks for your list of Road Acts and legislation. I would really appreciate if you could have a closer look at the origins of this interesting rule/law to keep cars unlocked.
I have been desperately trying to find any hints in some of the sources that you mentioned... in vain.
Concerning our basic question: were any other types of door handles used on Austin Sevens despite those shown above?
Kind regards 
Frank
Original driver's door handle from an early Mk.1 Ruby - left in as-found condition. Do we know which company supplied the handles - and did these change over the years?

(19-05-2023, 09:19 AM)Frank Stoll Wrote: I was a bit nervous when I saw the door handles shown above (RN). I checked Rinsey Mill's book for RP door handles, went through the internet and found a large number of cars (RPs) with "my" door handles. My car was first registered at the end of July 1934.
Looking forward to more photos and information on this matter (my girlfriend shaking her head in pure frustration)
Regards
Frank

Tell her that, light night, your nightmare was turning the wrong radius on a washer - but a massive by 10 minutes of arc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)