The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The different door handles on different models
Hello,

After I had started a thread on the spare wheel Cover on RP models, questions appeared on the right door handles on the different models. So let's start this general overview.
What are the major differences?
What do they look like?
Kind regards 
Frank 
Are replacements available?
The external handles fitted to Chummies (as shown in brochures from October 1927) were in a "nickel silver", hollow, made in three sections, polish up beautifully and pointed downwards. The modern replicas are one-piece, much heavier and chrome plated. From the start of saloon production, a different design was and had them set horizontally. I don't have a picture of these - but I'm sure that somebody will post one - and the many other versions used in the 1930s. An interesting study Frank - and it will be good to see all the data gathered together in one place.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's an RN saloon handle     
(15-05-2023, 04:37 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Here's an RN saloon handle 
Is that a one-piece construction, Dave, and an original fitting?
Hello,
These are the door handles on my RP 1934.

Any comments on originality or general information welcome.
Kind regards 
Frank
When I got my RP, which was built in June 1933, it was fitted with door handles similar to those on Dave Mann’s RN. There was no tell tale evidence of any holes to fit escutcheons as on your car. The handles were secured by slotted nuts on the inside of the locks. (See my photos on the spare wheel cover thread). There were a number of changes to the RP saloons introduced in October 1933, and, given that your handles have no locks, they may very well be original for a ‘34 saloon. It was illegal in Great Britain to lock a car on the public road until 1934.

My car is now fitted with proprietary locking door handles purely for security.
I was a bit nervous when I saw the door handles shown above (RN). I checked Rinsey Mill's book for RP door handles, went through the internet and found a large number of cars (RPs) with "my" door handles. My car was first registered at the end of July 1934.
Looking forward to more photos and information on this matter (my girlfriend shaking her head in pure frustration)
Regards
Frank
It's a one piece original RN handle probably slightly smaller after I dressed all the corrosion off the mazak casting prior to plating Tony.
Door handles with escutcheons, locking or non-locking, were not introduced on Sevens until late 1934 for the 1935 (Ruby, etc) model range. This would tie in with David Stepney's assertion that it was illegal to lock a car on the public road until  1934 (I didn't know that!).
Everything earlier (including RN, RP etc.) had the smaller handles, secured by a thread and nut inside the car, similar in one form or another to those shown earlier in this thread.
There was no way of locking the car with the earlier type handles, hence why so many were retro-fitted with the escutcheon type, either both locking, or the drivers side locking and the passenger door secured by a catch inside.
You can bin the escutcheon plate and make the handle lock into the tube of the original door catch