The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a tad optimistic
(24-04-2023, 03:01 PM)John Mason Wrote: I am sure that Tony Griffiths is a fine chap but I would not trust one of his photos. He appears to be a bigger rogue with Photoshop than the Dutchman selling the car.
Sorry Tony but your photoshop editing has a too good a reputation.

John Mason.

Well, it's not that good - it's a job that took only a few minutes of work and I have left the image very much too clear. Give somebody far better than me at Photoshop and you be convinced it was true(it's the fiddly details and shows that take the time). So, today, treat every photograph with suspicion. Have you seen examples of ones constructed by the latest AI systems? One won a prestigious award until the fake was discovered. But it's not just the A1-generated ones that are the problem, it's those then subjected to further processing by skilful hand work that can bend the mind. Even worse are the Deep Fake Video Makers - these can impose your fizzog onto a bank robber (or worse). In case you've not seen an example: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fak...ORM%3DVDRE But, there also "Reality Defenders" that detect fakes - using much the same system that created them.
Tony you are to hard on yourself. I used to have a job that included sending all counterfeit notes to the Bank of England for examination for conformation that they were indeed counterfeit and then destruction.(The only authority in the UK authorised to do this). Your photo beats a good 50% of the notes I sent. Just to put things into perspective as to how much counterfeit money was in circulation I was sending around three thousand pounds worth a month for the small area of Mansfield, Sutton in Ashfield and Kirkby in Ashfield together with the surrounding area. Mainly in 20 pound nots. This was at the time that paper money was in circulation. I do believe it is more difficult now we have the new plastic type notes.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks, John - that's not something I'll be trying! I met a chap once who owned an antique De la Rue machine that produced the master printing plate from which copies were made to print the notes. It was a most complex and ingenious affair and he'd obtained it from the printers in London when they were throwing it out - to be replaced by an upgraded version. It was in the company's lobby as a display piece and the new MD wanted it out of the way. Incredibly, they let him have all the many hundreds of gears necessary to set the thing up (I recall they were to do with proving the myriad scrolls on the notes) along with detailed operating instructions. One would have thought they'd have destroyed it. And no, it was not set up and working...
The only number I can see in the pics is on the engine - perhaps 24811 something? - which would be right for a 1936 car?

(There is a 1936 Speedex listed on the Chassis Register with engine number 248115.)
Bert Hadley often told me he had a "thing" for Kay. He said the racing team often stayed in a local hotel the night before an event, drinking till all hours, although Bert himself wasn't a drinker....