The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a tad optimistic
Just a tad optimistic: https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C15740...e=sendgrid
What would you offer?
I hope that the seller has all the paperwork to prove the claimed provenance, like where and when was it raced and by whom?

Perhaps I am an old cynic, but the car looks like a post war built special to me.

Assuming that i had £44K to spend on a prewar car, I can think of several cars that I would rather own.
I apologize if my comment sounds a bit caddy, but though I love the Seven "grill", I've never thought of it as imposing. Nor do I consider wire wheels a unique feature on a prewar car. So this is likely a Ruby with a new body, built postwar. And two fuel fillers...one for looks and one for real?

Erich in Mukilteo
Splendid machine, no doubt many photos of its competition history. Bert Hadley putting it up Stanway Old Hill on the 1934 Colmore, Billy Broughton at the first post war hillclimb at Bo’ness, and probably a snap of my “1924” Chummy overtaking it at Monthlery. Or maybe Brooklands. So difficult to get the banking correct with this Photoshop machine. Maybe Monza. Next, Mr Griffiths shows it between the Delage and Pipe manufacturers trade displays at the Paris show in 1912.
Ah, the subtleties of the English language! On first reading I too thought they were claiming some sort of pre-war competition history... but it could just as well be interpreted as a pre-war car (which it is) which some fool might consider racing (unlikely but possible).
"What would you offer"

Well, it's a nice little 2 seater soft top, looks good fun for the summer, with a nice blue coat of paint and nicely upholstered interior.

Someone might pay upwards of £16k

Me? Well I'd have to paint the wheels black, remove those orange indicators and replace with white (with orange bulbs) and somehow get rid of the orange stripe across below the windscreen. I might offer £9k
(21-04-2023, 04:50 AM)Erich Wrote: I apologize if my comment sounds a bit caddy, but though I love the Seven "grill", I've never thought of it as imposing. Nor do I consider wire wheels a unique feature on a prewar car. So this is likely a Ruby with a new body, built postwar. And two fuel fillers...one for looks and one for real?

Erich in Mukilteo

It was the term "status symbol" that made me splutter my porridge - not a phrase one hears often in connection with Austin Sevens.

Let's hope it doesn't make the asking price or half the European continent will be over here snapping up "cheap" Austin Seven specials to flog abroad.
(21-04-2023, 09:29 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(21-04-2023, 04:50 AM)Erich Wrote: I apologize if my comment sounds a bit caddy, but though I love the Seven "grill", I've never thought of it as imposing. Nor do I consider wire wheels a unique feature on a prewar car. So this is likely a Ruby with a new body, built postwar. And two fuel fillers...one for looks and one for real?

Erich in Mukilteo

It was the term "status symbol" that made me splutter my porridge - not a phrase one hears often in connection with Austin Sevens.

Let's hope it doesn't make the asking price or half the European continent will be over here snapping up "cheap" Austin Seven specials to flog abroad.

They just need to look closer to home - here's an Opal looking for a new home:

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1503588

Even at Italian prices I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than that special.
I love the " SPLENDIDA AUSTIN ZEVEN - surely " SETTE " ?
You have to note that this is a Dutch dealer. These people are a very special type of person, they always have absolutely insane prices. The only way I can explain it is that they call out some fancy prices and then see what happens. Or does anyone really think anyone other would pay 44k for that post war plywood box? And which war is meant here, the iraqi war? - But I imagine the Dutch think their customers are all stupid.

A few months ago I was looking at the "Castrol" van. He wants 15k. The ad said the car was running fine, but when I got there it wouldn't even start. And the general condition is really not good, not a single assembly can remain untouched, everything needs to be serviced or repaired, broken brakes, cracked steering wheel, cracked glass, indicators rusty and unable to move, paint cracked with rust underneath, and much more... endlessly. The car has been on the market for nearly 3 years now, you may ask why? Waiting for an idiot...?

Anyway, that was the last chance I gave a Dutchman. I'm angry with myself because I should have known not to do business with them. But this matter has confirmed my opinion.