The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loose Front Spring Bolts
It should be easy enough to remove the packers, especially if the U-bolts are already loose.    I would jack the car up and support it on the chassis somewhere near the rear engine mounts.   If the U-bolts are taken out the whole axle assembly will drop down until it is resting on the ground on its wheels.    I can see no reason for having the packers.  I would put some grease on the aluminium spacer to deter corrosion.   In your photo the u-bolts appear to be incorrectly seated at an angle, this will also loosen them as they try to straighten.  When refitting the u-bolts get them vertical and paralell to each other before doing up the nuts.  This should improve the handling of your Ruby a great deal.
I have not heard of packers above and below the aluminium block on imported cars. I would leave them out.

The fact that the front spring has a slightly curved top does not seem to affect the local Australian cars if they are fitted without any 'soft' packing.
I have removed the packers using the procedure suggested by Malcom and it was quite easy. The soft packers are of a material called hardboard in NZ. It is a dark brown material comprised of wood fibre and glue. It is often found as a cheap backing for wooden cabinets and chests of drawers. The packers were roughly cut and didn't match up with the full length of the aluminum packers. So I have thrown them away and reassembled using only the aluminum.packer. Time will tell if there was an important reason for the soft packers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would be sure the 'wood' packers weren't original and you will have no more problems (from here anyway  Smile )
In my pragmatic approach I would have removed the hardboard, used 8mm spring washers and a dab of loctite in place of tab washers, bolted it up and driven away

Charles