The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loose Front Spring Bolts
I find that the nuts on the two u-bolts that connect the spring to the chassis are continually coming loose. After about 100 miles I can tighten them by at least one turn. The two front nuts are easy to reach to tighten. Access to the two rear nuts is impossible while the engine is in place. 
All of the nuts tighten down on to spring washers, but these washers don't prevent the nuts from coming loose. 
I was wondering whether other forum members have experienced this and found ways to keep the nuts tight?
If you remove the lower fan pulley you will have sufficient access using a socket and extension.

I use spring washers under the nuts - without any issues, to date.

The original tab washers should also prevent any movement, if installed correctly.
As many will know, this is what the relevant tab washer looks like (- as offered by someone on ebay at the moment.)

.jpg   Front spring U-bolt tab washer.jpg (Size: 12.32 KB / Downloads: 455)

However, as these were missing when I replaced the U-bolts on my Ruby many years ago, I used Nyloc nuts.  

Obviously it is important that these stay tight.
Thanks Ruairidh and Colin.  Maybe I am not tightening the nuts sufficiently. The most positive solution for me would be to procure the locking tabs. As the eBay vendor is unlikely to post to NZ, do you know whether any of the usual UK parts suppliers stock these, because most of them will ship to New Zealand. 
Regards 
Graham Barker
If you still have the somewhat optional packer above the spring this could compress in use loosening the U bolts
I have ordered locking washers from The Seven Workshop. They advertise that they stock these. Will also check for a packer on top of the spring.
Years ago I got a front spring packer from a well known supplier in Kirkby Wiske.  When he slammed it on the counter with the other parts I commented that it looked like a piece of 1/4" plywood that had been painted white with emulsion paint.   That is exactly what it was.  I fitted it and it simply compressed to nothing.  It wasn't even decent plywood.   Since then I have used a piece of 3mm thick plastic (Foamex) for the packers and it has proved to be very good.
If your Ruby is an Export model, Graham, it may have the large aluminium spacer between the top of the spring and the chassis?

I have never used packing material under any of the front springs I have fitted.
My Ruby is an export model.  Above the spring is an aluminium block about 1 inch thick. Above and below that are packers of about 1/4 inch thick that are soft enough to indent with a screwdriver, but not springy like rubber.  See photo.
I guess these soft packers are the cause of the nuts loosening.  I note that the Austin parts manual does not show these or make any reference to them, even though it does acknowledge other differences for the export market.  
Does anyone know the purpose of these packers?
Would there be adverse effects if I just scrapped these?
Would it be a big mission to remove these?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There is only one at to find out.