The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Petrol Tank
Having run front tank RNs for 60 years I've had the occasional spillage onto a hot exhaust manifold which just evaporated with no conflagration. Whilst I did manage to momentarily set fire to my daughters Beetle when a small leak from the fuel pump conveniently mounted next to the distributor which provided the necessary spark. My first RN was fitted with a front and rear tank to give a huge range back in the 1960s, the rear tank was disposed of when a following car bent it, since when I've always looked on the rear tank as a liability and prefer the front tank.
Interesting comment Dave - and there was me thinking I was lucky having one of the few rear tank RNs !!!! Smile (Oct 1932).

Dave Richardson
(18-03-2023, 10:36 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Very nice pumps I agree but at £310 +VAT....
There are many reliable pumps eg:
(https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/facet-road...5jEALw_wcB)

out there but Burlen have the name and the reputation and possibly VSCC approval.
I'd stick with the original tank and the ever-reliable force of gravity

They have gone up a lot but not that much:
https://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare...-volt.html

Seems to be temporarily out of stock but doubtless they'll be back.
I hope your optimism is well placed Chris.

I have had a £200 piece of plastic for a pondless waterfall on back order since last July.  Made in Germany. Predicted delivery shoved back a month at a time. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't already have several hundred pounds worth of kit from the same company ready to go.

Must be Brexit - everything else is they tell me - /sarc off
If purchasing a new tank, it is essential to measure accurately the available space so the tank and bracket are the correct width.

When getting my replacement I gave them the old tank to make a copy.
Petrol was different in the old days; when I was driving a 1930 fabric saloon with an SU carb in the mid 1960s the float chamber became slightly loose. I stopped to find out why the engine was not pulling properly. On opening the bonnet I saw the fault and the potential fire: the drips of petrol from the loose float chamber union were landing directly on the hot exhaust pipe, giving a flash of flame with each drip. All things considered I was very lucky; it's the last thing you need with a fabric body!
O/T but the £200 chunk of German plastic I mentioned above arrives next week - only 9 months since I ordered. Luxury.
Never mind the waiting... I've just had to pay HMRC the best part of £50.00 duty on an import purchased S/H from the Republic of Ireland. If it was a new item I would not feel so aggrieved...another thing we weren't told about the
B word!