The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN Petrol Tank
Has anyone transferred the petrol tank on an RN to the rear of the car as per the later models.

I'm getting increasingly concerned about the safety of the scuttle mounted tank directly above the hot engine.

Some will argue that it's lasted, trouble free, for over ninety years and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Several times I've had a minor spillage despite being careful and it's made me sit up!

Perhaps I'm worrying needlessly but I am getting old!
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Easy enough to do with an electric fuel pump, just make sure its fitted to a cut of switch so if your in an accident the pump doesnt continue to pump fuel. Or fit a later engine with a mechanical pump driven off the camshaft. 

Or mop up any spills and carry a good quality fire extingisher. 

Ive seen these online and they look impresive, tho ive yet to purchase one - i have a Lidl £9.99 powder extinguisher that moves between cars with the tool bag

https://firesafetystick.com/
Barry, you are worrying needlessly...

Petrol auto-ignites at around 280 degrees centigrade, the only thing in the engine bay with a chance of (auto-)igniting it is the exhaust manifold. That said, I've spilled petrol on the exhaust countless times and it just sizzled. Sparks of course are another matter and there are a number of places they might occur - and yes perhaps more under the bonnet than at the back end.

If you are deeply concerned, it shouldn't be a major problem to fit an RP tank (one or two cars have used both to extend range). I would heartily recommend SU 6V electric fuel pumps, available new from Burlen.
Very nice pumps I agree but at £310 +VAT....
There are many reliable pumps eg:
(https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/facet-road...5jEALw_wcB)

out there but Burlen have the name and the reputation and possibly VSCC approval.
I'd stick with the original tank and the ever-reliable force of gravity
If you go the rear tank route I can recommend a new tank (as I said in my recent post New Petrol Tank) from

https://www.compbrake.com/

The rear tank is held in place by a wide U-bolt at either side on late RN and RPs. I am not sure what extra body/chassis bits were added to allow fitting.  You can see the side brackets on the photo below.

I am happy with my tank, but have no connection to the company, only as a satisfied customer.

Contrary to popular belief it's actually quite hard to ignite petrol except with a spark. Even then it only really fires with vapour close to the air to fuel ratio of 11:1 by weight (that's an awful lot of air).
Petrol landing on a hot surface evaporates almost instantly, it doesn't ignite. The vapour will ignite if there's a spark.
Much more likely to ignite on a hot surface is oil and especially brake fluid. They ignite from the heat before they are fully evaporated.
A lot of car fires were caused by brake fluid being spilled onto a hot surface after an accident. For a long time brake fluid resevoirs were often not mounted securely, that's since been rectified.
Jim
On the RP with a rear tank, Austin made provision for dealing with a leaky Zenith carburettor by designing a sheet of metal which fits between the chassis rail and the nearside flitch plate. It has a semicircular concave and convex mouldings designed to direct any drips towards the rear of the car and away (a bit) from the hot exhaust:

[Image: IMG-20201104-WA0001.jpg]

I've no idea how effective or successful it has been but my car has never self-immolated in the nearly 40 years I've had it. No doubt it was a phenomenon Austin were aware of but only moved the tank to the rear from late 32 onwards because they could, probably to do away with having to open the bonnet to turn the fuel tap on and off as a pumped system and rear tank was more user friendly.
Yes I’ve got that on my RP Bruce but the petrol drips from the Zenith too the paint off on about three months!

I think the OP answered his own question, in years of driving a scuttle tank car I never had a problem, even when being a bit careless on fill ups and sploshing petrol about.
That plate of mine has been done in POR15 and no probs since. Mind you the Zenith has been swapped for an SU. No more drips.
I avoid acryilic paint because it's soluble in petrol. At the very least it needs a good coating of petrol resistanr lacquer.
Jim