The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oiling the gauze air filter
My 1929 box saloon has been fitted previously with the Zenith 26VA carb and has a gauze filter over the air intake. I was looking at a restored example that had a sticker on it saying that it should be cleaned in parrafin and oiled with a light oil. How does one go about this? I have only ever had paper filters or oiled foam filters. Never gauze. Wouldn't it all just drip out?

This is not my car but i have the same carb and air filter albiet gravity fed.
No, unless one is too enthusiastic with the oil can. The oil will stick to the gauze and trap any micro particles.
Is this an after market filter, as they say? My car 32 RN has no filter at all of course. Is it worth trying to rig something?
This will start them ticking?
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Old Dave, I understand that the gauze filters were fitted to the export Rubies.  Hence they are quite common on Rubies in NZ. Not sure whether they were offered for the RN.
Graham.
An esteemed forumist sometimes has a batch of Export Air Filters made, one is used on my Ruby. The search slot will not find any discussions thereof and I am miles away from my carefully organised archive so can’t pass on their name. Perhaps the person will contribute.
That would explain why there is nothing in tha handbook about it and the sticker on mine is long gone. Yes the car is in New Zealand I shall oil forth with and maybe try and recreate the sticker.
I remember an old Sunbeam-Talbot I had, the instructions were to soak the gauge in light oil and allow it to drain, which I did in the hub cap until there were no more drips left, then put it back it back together.

Perhaps a similar approach maybe worth a try?
But Sevens don't have hub caps Confused
Well that puts paid to that!