The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Oiling the gauze air filter - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Oiling the gauze air filter (/showthread.php?tid=8398)

Pages: 1 2

Oiling the gauze air filter - Fencepost - 25-02-2023

My 1929 box saloon has been fitted previously with the Zenith 26VA carb and has a gauze filter over the air intake. I was looking at a restored example that had a sticker on it saying that it should be cleaned in parrafin and oiled with a light oil. How does one go about this? I have only ever had paper filters or oiled foam filters. Never gauze. Wouldn't it all just drip out?

This is not my car but i have the same carb and air filter albiet gravity fed.

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - David Stepney - 25-02-2023

No, unless one is too enthusiastic with the oil can. The oil will stick to the gauze and trap any micro particles.

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Old Dave - 26-02-2023

Is this an after market filter, as they say? My car 32 RN has no filter at all of course. Is it worth trying to rig something?

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Derek Sheldon - 26-02-2023

This will start them ticking?

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Graham Barker - 26-02-2023

Old Dave, I understand that the gauze filters were fitted to the export Rubies.  Hence they are quite common on Rubies in NZ. Not sure whether they were offered for the RN.
Graham.

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Steve kay - 26-02-2023

An esteemed forumist sometimes has a batch of Export Air Filters made, one is used on my Ruby. The search slot will not find any discussions thereof and I am miles away from my carefully organised archive so can’t pass on their name. Perhaps the person will contribute.

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Fencepost - 26-02-2023

That would explain why there is nothing in tha handbook about it and the sticker on mine is long gone. Yes the car is in New Zealand I shall oil forth with and maybe try and recreate the sticker.

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Ivor Hawkins - 26-02-2023

I remember an old Sunbeam-Talbot I had, the instructions were to soak the gauge in light oil and allow it to drain, which I did in the hub cap until there were no more drips left, then put it back it back together.

Perhaps a similar approach maybe worth a try?

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Steve Jones - 26-02-2023

But Sevens don't have hub caps Confused

RE: Oiling the gauze air filter - Ivor Hawkins - 26-02-2023

Well that puts paid to that!