The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing to report on using E10 in our A7s
As Colin says, ethanol simply doesn't release as much energy when burned as conventional petrol, so mpg must suffer to a small extent; though in fact E10 is a limit rather than a specification, so there may not be much real difference with present forecourt fuels. I suggest this is the least of our worries. I use whatever comes out of the pump and haven't noticed any issues with my cars.
For the last 18 months I've had a 2.5 liter paint can with a load of scrap items in a liter of E10 which is kept sealed only being opened for inspection . Today's inspection revealed a number of water globules in the bottom      there is no corrosion of the items yet but there may be a future problem.
Hooray!!!
Would be interested to see what happens if you do a similar test with a tin with a "breather" hole in it.

The problems we had with E10 are in our Ulster and old lawnmower, both with breather holes / slight leaks in the filler cap.
This sounds like an interesting practical lab. test for water content. The only drawback I can see is that there is no representative introduction of air on a regular cycle. While driving and refilling a tank on a car there will be a large change of air/vapour volume when topping up the fuel and as air (25% water vapour) is drawn in through the vented cap as the petrol is drawn out for combustion.