The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaning RN Box
Thanks All for your advice and honest opinion. It looks as though new springs might be needed in slightly slower time. I need to have an interview with the finance director first - "how much" and she isn't even a Yorkshire Lass. Might need to let the memory of the new petrol tank fade a little!!
I jacked Alice up today to refill the diff with nice new 140 (Witham Oils) allowing the suspension to drop with the wheels just off the ground as recommended. Job Jobbed I hope.

I used a hydraulic jack in the centre with a 2 foot piece of 3 by 2 under the frame cross member to spread the load. It was like that a couple of ours. When I let it gently down the car settled as level as it has done for a while. Does this tell me anything useful about the need for new springs??

Can I ask a supplementary question.

I notice that on my car the offside rear spring has a grease nipple in the back edge, but the near side spring does not - not even a hole for one?? Can anyone advise.
One thing to consider with new rear springs, having fitted a set from Ian D, is if the rear is a tad high, then you lose some caster effect hence the steering can be a bit 'lively', with luck and more use mine should settle and resolve this issue.
I agree regarding the springs. Mathildeux sat askew no matter what I did to dampers and fittings. I even hammered tiny taper wedges in between the leaves to try levelling up! (waste of time and effort)
At the Scots Holiday gathering I had a chat with Ian and subsequently bought a new pair of springs which transformed the car. The ones which came out bore no relation to each other or anything else and had obviously been nailed together from a pile of random scrap leaves.
(15-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Old Dave Wrote: I notice that on my car the offside rear spring has a grease nipple in the back edge, but the near side spring does not - not even a hole for one?? Can anyone advise.

Sounds like a random selection from a 1950's spares pile. Better to fit a new, matched pair from Ruairidh and have done with it.

Worth checking first that the "U" bolts are not broken or loose and that the end of the chassis is not cracked or broken, which can affect the ride height by allowing the spring to come loose.
Thank you all for your advice - it's going to end in a new pair of springs I guess but I will have a good check first. The whole lot is coming out at some point this year (well I don't have that many years left it could be!!!) to be refurbed and it would be daft not to replace the spings at the time. Timing will depend on "outings" planned.

The engine and gearbox are original, and I would guess the rear axle is too. The front is definitely not original as it is semi-Girling with the later pedal arrangement, which means that the car is not all original but at least it stops!!!!! As for the springs - who knows?

Thanks again for all your help.
New springs is the real answer - the car will drive so much better.
You might be tempted to do the front as well - she will ride like a princess then.
Fresh springs makes a big improvement.  Wink

More than you would believe.
(17-02-2023, 04:53 PM)Nick Turley Wrote: New springs is the real answer - the car will drive so much better.
You might be tempted to do the front as well - she will ride like a princess then.
Fresh springs makes a big improvement.  Wink

More than you would believe.

+ 1. Do it once, do it right. A fit and forget option. 

Steve
+1 from me….

But…getting the old ones out is another story.  

Cheers

Howard